Apple stores pull Wiley titles over new Steve Jobs biography

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Anybody stop to think this could be a publicity stunt to actually INCREASE sales? (as people rush out to buy the controversial book and then to visit an Apple Store?)

That would work if Apple stocked it!
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

That would work if Apple stocked it!

Computers not books. Besides... what profit is there in a couple books? BIG money is in computers.

Taboo book being sought after by non Mac folks. They read about the Mac... and maybe decide to go buy one...

Seems reasonable enough logic to me.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:

Computers not books. Besides... what profit is there in a couple books? BIG money is in computers.

Taboo book being sought after by non Mac folks. They read about the Mac... and maybe decide to go buy one...

Seems reasonable enough logic to me.

people may go in to buy a book and buy an accessory for an iPod etc. for more they sell the better - although the space should be used appropriately.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    it is things like this that give Apple a bad name... I will not be buying Tiger because it has nothing new in it but some new "free" apps that probably will not work for a year or two.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird71

it is things like this that give Apple a bad name... I will not be buying Tiger because it has nothing new in it but some new "free" apps that probably will not work for a year or two.

If you can't see Tiger is a major release, what are you looking for?
  • Reply 46 of 52
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

If you can't see Tiger is a major release, what are you looking for?

I want an entire 3D environment with 2D application windows in side. The idea is I can take my mouse and grab the Word window then push it off into the edge of the 3D landscape, then grab iTunes while I'm down there bringing it to the foreground. Imagine the endless screen space.

I want mouse mind control so I eat cheese Fritos and surf at the same time without getting my keyboard cheesy greasy.

I want Sherlock to have a virtual Astrologist to tell me how my day is going to turn out.

I want an eatable gummy keyboard for midnight snacking in my bed.

I want it support the language Jive incase I need to send Janet Jackson another hate mail.

The list goes on, the question to you is are you happy?
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

I want an entire 3D environment with 2D application windows in side. The idea is I can take my mouse and grab the Word window then push it off into the edge of the 3D landscape, then grab iTunes while I'm down there bringing it to the foreground. Imagine the endless screen space.

I want mouse mind control so I eat cheese Fritos and surf at the same time without getting my keyboard cheesy greasy.

I want Sherlock to have a virtual Astrologist to tell me how my day is going to turn out.

I want an eatable gummy keyboard for midnight snacking in my bed.

I want it support the language Jive incase I need to send Janet Jackson another hate mail.

The list goes on, the question to you is are you happy?

your first idea was kinda interesting then.. umm yeah. No that first idea would be cool, like a globe that you spin around with windows? Could be a pain trying to find them though.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:

your first idea was kinda interesting then.. umm yeah. No that first idea would be cool, like a globe that you spin around with windows? Could be a pain trying to find them though.

SphereXP. (for windows....but exactly what you want)
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:

SphereXP. (for windows....but exactly what you want)

that looks awful, really cumbersome. I like the simple 2D Apple interface.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:

that looks awful, really cumbersome. I like the simple 2D Apple interface.

Try it... if it was out of beta and worked about 10% better I'd make the permanant switch (from my normal XP machine to that)...

It's just a clevar gui hack... but VERY functional...
  • Reply 51 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkswamp

Folks, I hate to play devil's advocate, but the reality is that Apple can stock whatever they want in their stores. There's nothing draconian or evil about them making decisions based on what companies make them happy. If I ran a business and a publisher did something I didn't like, I would probably do the same thing. It's their store, their shelves and their space. There is nothing Big Brother-ish about it.

I'm sorry, but I can't accept a strong-arm tactic of removing all books off a shelf from one publisher because they don't like ONE of their books. That is not a business decision, that is pettiness. A true business decision puts dollars above emotions, if a particular book doesn't sell well enough to justify shelf space, remove it. Removing all books from the shelf by a publisher because that one book conflicts with one person's petty ego isn't a business decision, IMO.

Also, what this does in the long run is put pressure on publishers to make sure they don't publish anything that one of their major retailers disagrees with. I believe it could have a quelling effect.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

However he founded Apple and owns a significant amount of the stock.

He cofounded Apple, got kicked out several years later, presumably some time after selling controlling share. I thought he sold most of his stock before coming on board again. Whether he bought more in the last six or so years, I don't know, I guess he could have exercised some stock options. Unless SJ owns a majority share of Apple, it's not his business to use the business he's been entrusted to in taking unilateral action to protect his own ego.