Apple sued over "Tiger," requested injunction could prevent launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Smastard

The number and reasons for lawsuits in the USA is a bit of a joke to the rest of the world.

Tell me about it ? America is known as the litigation capital of the world by many. Australia's laws aren't the best, but at least they're not abused like this.

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Smastard

I'm glad the Americans on this forum are laughing about this one

Me too. It's f***ing so pathetic it's f***ing funny.
  • Reply 62 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

IMO this makes Tigerdirect look even more petty. Who gives a fuck what size "Tiger" is on the OS X box? I hope Steve did this on purpose, because that is some butt-stupid reasoning on Tigerdirect's part.

Licensers give a fuck. The size of typography is a huge part of licsensing. For example. If you license a musical, in the contract there is a specification for how large the author's names are relative to the title when you are printing a playbill.
  • Reply 63 of 97
    Man I love us nutty clanish Mac types. Best company in the world and I'll stick by them, thick and thin, like I have been since as long as I can remember.

Thinking,

Nomad
  • Reply 64 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I think that has more to do with Lawyers actually writing the laws.

Lawyers don't write laws.

This is obviously a ridiculous, frivolous lawsuit. Nobody is going to confuse an operating system with an online store.
  • Reply 65 of 97
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I say we call Tiger Direct and try to order OS X Tiger!!

then complain that they are using apple to lure customers!!

yeah, let's flood their email as well - although this might give them a case
  • Reply 66 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

I thought trademarking only applied to things like logos and not names like this. I mean, tiger is a word, it's in the dictionary. How can one trademark that???

Ummm. The same way Apple can trademark their name?

A trademark is exactly that, a mark that is unique to the area of business a company trades under. Trademarks can be common words, but applied to specific areas.

So, Apple Computer has a trademark relating to the sale of computer hardware and software.

I suspect TigerDirect is just fishing for money and I suspect Apple will quietly fork some over in exchange for a settlement.
  • Reply 67 of 97
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Well, so much for tiger direct as an apple reseller...

funny thing is they do sell ipods....

from HP

I fear Tiger direct has angered the legions of Mac Fans out there .

We may be only 3.6% of the market but we are loyal and irate!!!

• Reply 68 of 97
    tigerdirect has a beef with the ?tiger essentials? and ?tiger center? on apple's web store

which I could see apple dropping
  • Reply 69 of 97
    In other news... cattle ranchers in texas are preparing to sue Microsoft over their next major OS release...
  • Reply 70 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

In other news... cattle ranchers in texas are preparing to sue Microsoft over their next major OS release...

• Reply 71 of 97
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Wait, I'm confused. I just bought a new mac. I wanted to buy it from Tiger Direct, because of their fine reputation in something or another. But I ended up buying it from Apple, because I thought they had just merged with Tiger Direct. I mean, Apple has Tiger, and I heard you could order Tiger directly from Apple. So they're Tiger Direct??

Now, if only I could figure out how to get my gas from Apple..they bought Exxon, right? And Kelloggs?
  • Reply 72 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Wait, I'm confused. I just bought a new mac. I wanted to buy it from Tiger Direct, because of their fine reputation in something or another. But I ended up buying it from Apple, because I thought they had just merged with Tiger Direct. I mean, Apple has Tiger, and I heard you could order Tiger directly from Apple. So they're Tiger Direct??

Now, if only I could figure out how to get my gas from Apple..they bought Exxon, right? And Kelloggs?

and Apple do golf too.
  • Reply 73 of 97
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

FYI, someone at MacRumors.com forums, claiming inside info, has some details to share that put Tiger Direct in a (slightly) better light. I can't vouch for them, but FWIW... here:

Supposedly the lawsuit is over Apple using a larger font for the word Tiger on their packaging, than they had previously promised to use.

No money or delay (hope it's true!) is being sought--just a change in future packaging.

Well, having read the lawsuit, they are asking for actual damages, and that Apple be injoined from further using the "tiger" mark.

Tiger Direct has the word "Tiger" Trademarked as it applies to mail-order.

This is a sham of a suit. It should be dismissed immediately.
  • Reply 74 of 97
    gmacgmac Posts: 79member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

Kellogg's Tony the Tiger better look out.

Or should he...

http://www.wptn.com/back00/tmrk_011_sep00.html

Nutso!
  • Reply 75 of 97
    In other news.. fruit growers in florida began contacting their lawyers regrading the branding of a certain product line called 'Macintosh'.

Car dealerships across America are also bringing a class action suit for the use of Jaguar.

And the ex-civil rights group is sueing about the use of Panther.

All in all, a bad week at Apple Legal.

• Reply 76 of 97
    gmacgmac Posts: 79member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

In other news.. fruit growers in florida began contacting their lawyers regrading the branding of a certain product line called 'Macintosh'.

Ironically, the Mac was supposed to be called McIntosh but apple was sued by the audio gear company of the same name. They changed it from Mc to Mac to resolve the case. Glad they did - or we'd be using McOS X!
  • Reply 77 of 97
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gmac

Ironically, the Mac was supposed to be called McIntosh but apple was sued by the audio gear company of the same name. They changed it from Mc to Mac to resolve the case. Glad they did - or we'd be using McOS X!

So that is why there are no McJobs in the computer industry...(ducks)
  • Reply 78 of 97
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Hum...

When I use the dictionary, it says Macintosh is the variant spelling of a full-length waterproof coat. I'm so stupid that I never even realized that the McIntosh fruit wasn't spelled Macintosh.
  • Reply 79 of 97
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I think that has more to do with Lawyers actually writing the laws.

But laws aren't the reason for all the lawsuits in America. The laws exist to permit lawsuits to take place in cases where damage really did occur. Its the people who exploit well-intentioned laws for their own personal gain that are the problem (and the lawyers who muckrake for such cases).
  • Reply 80 of 97
    If only mammals had more legal rights... Beware of the animal injunctions!

No one should be able to sue over the use of dictionary words...