Safari Woes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So right now I'm downloading all the widgets I can get my hands on (even ones for Yellow Pages in Countrys I haven't even visitied) and three things keep happening...

(1) Randomly Safari will ask me "You are downloading an Application, are you sure?" and I have to click Yes

(2) Randomly Safari will CRASH!!

(3) Safari continues to load my Widgets directly into my ~/Library/Widgets/ directory when I want them in /Library/Widgets/ directory

Any solutions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ben Huebscher

So right now I'm downloading all the widgets I can get my hands on (even ones for Yellow Pages in Countrys I haven't even visitied) and three things keep happening...

(1) Randomly Safari will ask me "You are downloading an Application, are you sure?" and I have to click Yes

(2) Randomly Safari will CRASH!!

(3) Safari continues to load my Widgets directly into my ~/Library/Widgets/ directory when I want them in /Library/Widgets/ directory

Any solutions?

1) You are downloading applications. It's nice to know that Safari warns you for that.

The other two, I dunno.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    What revision number are we discussing for Safari?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    We are talking Safari 2.0 (412) ... and yea it could be considered a nice feature other than two problems:

(A) It is random ... sometimes it warns me ... other times it just downloads

(B) There is no option to turn it off if I'm downloading a number of applications in succession (as I was when I downloaded nearly 100 widgets in a row to check them out)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

We are talking Safari 2.0 (412) ... and yea it could be considered a nice feature other than two problems:

(A) It is random ... sometimes it warns me ... other times it just downloads

(B) There is no option to turn it off if I'm downloading a number of applications in succession (as I was when I downloaded nearly 100 widgets in a row to check them out)

Some widgets are just HTML+JavaScript, others are Cocoa apps, which explains the randomness.

And you're right, there being no option to turn it off is obnoxious.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

And you're right, there being no option to turn it off is obnoxious.

Uncheck the "Open 'Safe' files after downloading" checkbox.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Uncheck the "Open 'Safe' files after downloading" checkbox.

Yea, but I still want it to automatically open when it is downloaded well other than the fact that it automatically moves into my user's widgets folder rather than the system wide widgets folder.

Whatever ... i'll delegate this task to firefox
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Yea, but I still want it to automatically open when it is downloaded well other than the fact that it automatically moves into my user's widgets folder rather than the system wide widgets folder.

Whatever ... i'll delegate this task to firefox

You'd rather have it move into your user widget folder.

Picture sharing yourself in a large networked environment. Having them in your network mounted account will ensure whatever machine you run your widgets will get launched and once you logout the next person can have their widgets launched as well.

What would be truly useful as it was working at NeXT is having the widgets install into a /LocalLibrary that is exported to all users and those widgets get launched leaving only you to have a referenced plist of which ones you like launching a local instance of, at your present location. It reduces the number of widgets installations across the network as well as allows IT to maintain a set of widgets that work well.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I'm getting this error message like 10 times a day, what the hell is this. It's driving me crazy, I stopped using Safari untill this is fixed.

Safari can?t open the page.

Safari could not open the page ?http://www.deviantart.com/? because the server stopped responding.

I have a 4mbit lease line to my house, I have never gotten this with Safari 1.0 or Firefox.

• Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

I'm getting this error message like 10 times a day, what the hell is this. It's driving me crazy, I stopped using Safari untill this is fixed.

Safari can?t open the page.

Safari could not open the page ?http://www.deviantart.com/? because the server stopped responding.

I have a 4mbit lease line to my house, I have never gotten this with Safari 1.0 or Firefox.

What? deviantart.com has shitty server response? No, I never would've expected that, not from deviantart

I guess Safari timeouts quicker now... maybe there's a way to change that?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

What? deviantart.com has shitty server response? No, I never would've expected that, not from deviantart

I guess Safari timeouts quicker now... maybe there's a way to change that?

I know, I know, it was just the last site I was on, it broke the camels back. Still gettting it on other sites like CNN and even Appleinsider.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ripkordripkord Posts: 78member
    you need to trash any igetter or speeddownload plugins for safari 2.0 to work properly, try that (for those who are getting the random crashes)