Enabling Quartz 2-D Extreme in Tiger

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    jedifunkjedifunk Posts: 18member
    should i even be able to tell a difference? i know that i've turned it on using the debug tool, but to my eyes, i dont see a difference. what exactly should i be looking for?
  • Reply 22 of 79
    gregmightdothatgregmightdothat Posts: 1,709member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jedifunk

should i even be able to tell a difference? i know that i've turned it on using the debug tool, but to my eyes, i dont see a difference. what exactly should i be looking for?

A 10x speed increase.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    jedifunkjedifunk Posts: 18member
    Quote:

A 10x speed increase.

speed increase in what? sorry if i sound stupid, but i'm just not sure what to be looking for.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jedifunk

speed increase in what? sorry if i sound stupid, but i'm just not sure what to be looking for.

Speed increase in drawing.

Resize a Finder window and a TextEdit window full of text.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I really don't notice a difference with it on or off. Are you sure the debug app doesn't just show it as off or turn it off automatically when run. I have a dual 2Ghz G5 with a 9800XT.

Yup no noticeable difference with itunes or safari resizing at all. Yes I restarted the applications.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hitby

Hi all, Could someone confirm how to make this change permanent? Is it something along the lines of

plutil 1 /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

?? Not knowing anything about terminal at all?

Cheers

Dan

To extend upon Hitby's commentary:

The update to Tiger converted com.apple.windowserver.plist to binary1 upon rebooting the system.

To see exactly what got modified after running the Debug utility I did the following:

$cd /Library/Preferences

$sudo cp com.apple.windowserver.plist com.apple.windowserver.backup.plist

$sudo plutil -convert xml1 com.apple.windowserver.backup.plist

$sudo vim com.apple.windowserver.backup.plist

Results: at the bottom of the file:

Code:

<key>GLCompositor</key>

<dict>

<keys>fileHeight</key>

<integer>256</integer>

<key>tileWidth</key>

<integer>256</key>

</dict>

<key>Quartz2DExtremeEnabled</key>

<false/>

</dict>

</plist>

One would presume that false being replaced with true would suffice.

One could then copy your current binary version to .backup ala com.apple.windowserver.plist.backup and convert back the xml1 file plist to binary.

$sudo cp com.apple.windowserver.plist com.apple.windowserver.plist.backup

$sudo plutil -convert binary1 com.apple.windowserver.backup.plist

$sudo cp com.apple.windowserver.backup.plist com.apple.windowserver.plist

exit terminal

Restart the windowserver or just logout/reboot and login to your system with the set up enabled.

If anything hokey arises, boot into single user mode and sudo cp the com.apple.windowserver.plist.backup to com.apple.windowserver.plist and restart the windowserver and/or reboot your system.

As I've said, systems without Extreme 2D capable GPUs won't even see this list and will run the compiled windowserver settings automagically selecting your detected hardware.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by greeneggsaregood

Hey Mdriftmeyer,

I have the same powerbook but i do not have the com.apple.windowserver.plist on my system. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Download the Debug Utility and test to see if you can enable the Quartz 2D Extreme option in its Tools Menu. Then on a hunch check to see if it autogenerates a binary plist in /Library/Preferences/.

If you just use vi, pico or another commandline editor check to see if it now exists.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    hitbyhitby Posts: 38member
    Very useful post, nice one

Dan

Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

To extend upon Hitby's commentary:

The update to Tiger converted com.apple.windowserver.plist to binary1 upon rebooting the system.

To see exactly what got modified after running the Debug utility I did the following:

$cd /Library/Preferences

$sudo cp com.apple.windowserver.plist com.apple.windowserver.backup.plist

$sudo plutil -convert xml1 com.apple.windowserver.backup.plist

$sudo vim com.apple.windowserver.backup.plist

• Reply 29 of 79
    I didn't notice any performance difference when enabling it (PowerBook 1.67).

However (I tried this on the Finder), the desktop text looked slighty different, maybe a little more fuzzy.

Also, just a note, I found Quartz Debug in /Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/ (for those of you have XCode Tools installed).
  • Reply 30 of 79
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    You and your old fashioned desire to explain where quartz debug is. (kidding)

Anyone with tiger installed could simply spotlight quartz and find it under the applications section...

My experience with it has been pretty good so far. I enabled q2de via the quartz debug application and then force quit it. The only glitches i've noticed have to do with rollover link changes in safari.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    It would be nice if someone could write a script that enables Quartz 2D Extreme in the .plist for those of us who aren't as comfortable as others in messing with the terminal app.

Addendum; is it possible to run an Automater Workflow to open the 2D Extreme Debugger on system startup, enable 2D Extreme and then hide the application? That would be a decent work-around until Apple makes it a standard.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Will

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean YES

in the Terminal work?
  • Reply 33 of 79
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Will this work on the 9200s in the MacMinis?
  • Reply 34 of 79
    gregmightdothatgregmightdothat Posts: 1,709member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Will this work on the 9200s in the MacMinis?

No. It only works with Radeon 9600's or better, or GeForce FX's.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    So, does quartz 2D extreme accelerate anything ? It's supposed to do so in theory, but in pratice it doesn't make the UI more responsive (from what I heard). I'm a bit disappointed.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    Quartz 2D Extreme has not been turned on yet in Tiger...perhaps in the next dot update...
  • Reply 37 of 79
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    This looks perfectly safe from a corruption perspective; something you can set back to the normal setting if you get annoyed with the bugs. Nothing that could corrupt your files.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

Quartz 2D Extreme has not been turned on yet in Tiger...perhaps in the next dot update...

I know, but people who turned it on don't see any improvement.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...refsetter.html

Does this help people who dont want to access the prefrences from the terminal?
  • Reply 40 of 79
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    nevermind, that program doesn't seem to be able to see that prefrence.