Spotlight skips iTunes library to appease RIAA (?)

zozo
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Been reading that Spotlight misses out on odd bit of data, the most notable is your own iTunes library!

What the heck is this all about? It's my music, why shouldn't I be able to find it????

For example, some discussions on MacOS X Hints here

If not to appease the Beasts of RIAA, then why would such a glaring omission?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member

Seems to work fine for me...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to read ID3 tags, which is weird. \
  • Reply 3 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    yeah, sorry, I meant the more specific meta information of the MP3s/AACs. Even the old Search found MP3s in your old iTunes folder...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

yeah, sorry, I meant the more specific meta information of the MP3s/AACs. Even the old Search found MP3s in your old iTunes folder...

Searches it here... Just did a search for classical and boom, there it all was.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And yet the first AAC file in the results shown doesn't have 'Green Day' in the title, so it *had* to have read it from the ID3 tag.

Folks are having spotty success with Spotlight and iPhoto as well. One workaround I've seen is to select all your photos in iPhoto, and add a new bogus keyword 'Bogus' works well. Quit. Check Spotlight, keywords will have been updated. Go back into iPhoto, then delete the Bogus keyword, it will remove it from all photos. Quit. Spotlight will still see keywords from iPhoto.

It's like the initial import doesn't do quite what it should in some cases, but subsequent writes *do* trigger the update.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member
    maybe the longer you have tiger installed, it gets to update its index more and more...hrm strange.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bsodmike

maybe the longer you have tiger installed, it gets to update its index more and more...hrm strange.

mine works fine, but then i added the music from a hard disk and didn't do an upgrade thing, you can ask Spotlight to re-index the HD in Terminal:

I don't know if this is correct but it was posted in another thread. "sudo mdutil -E /" If anyone can confirm this i'd be grateful as i don;t want to use if it it does something else!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bsodmike

It seems that it doesn't do a perfect job initially but then gradually fixes itself. For instance I searched for a pdf that I knew I had after the initial index had finished. 20 minutes later it was there.

Once everything has been done it seems ok but that takes longer than it actually admits to.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I suspect this will change with the next revision of iTunes. No worries, Apple *wants* to make spotlight look good.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

mine works fine, but then i added the music from a hard disk and didn't do an upgrade thing, you can ask Spotlight to re-index the HD in Terminal:

There should be a prefs pannel or maybe disk utility gui way to do that too, seems logical as things can get broken in computers from time to time.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

There should be a prefs pannel or maybe disk utility gui way to do that too, seems logical as things can get broken in computers from time to time.

definitely