Free Copies Of Tiger!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I orderd a copy of tiger from the Apple Store. They had claimed it would be delivered by the 29. They ended up sending it ground from Tennessee on the 28. It wasn't going to make it to miami in one day. I called up to cancel my order. The following day I received an email.

Dear thatmatt,

Thank you for contacting Apple!

We received your request to cancel OS X V10.4 "TIGER" RETAIL-INT but it is

already in the process of shipping.

Instead of returning the OS X V10.4 "TIGER" RETAIL-INT, please keep it as

our gift to you. A refund in the amount of $73.83 will be issued to your

credit card in 3-5 business days.

Please contact the bank that issued your credit card if you have questions

about when the funds will be posted to your account.

Thank you for choosing Apple!

Sincerely,

Apple Store Customer Support

I GOT A FREE COPY!! SOME PEOPLE GOT IWORK!! I GOT FREE TIGER!!

WOO HOO!! EVERYONE WHO DIDNT GET IT ON TIME SHOULD CALL UP AND COMPLAIN!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    wow. nice.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    And here I thought, "Great, another spam post." It is good to hear that Apple took care of you!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    To share such information is almost as bad as pirating in my book.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    That is great!!

I wish they would have done that on the G5 2.5 I had originally ordered, but cancelled because of the delivery delays.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Quote:

8)

I hear ya Anders, the lucky dog...
  • Reply 6 of 23
    thatmattthatmatt Posts: 5member
    You guys are just mad

you had to pay for your copy!!

I dont think my post is as bad as pirating!!

If my copy came late so did alot of other people's.

I am sure they would like to know about what happened to me.

Anyone else who was lied to deserves to know this.

I ordered with Apple because they said they

could get it to me faster. I cancelled my order with

MacMall who would have it arrived on the 30.

I ended up driving to my local apple store to get my copy.

If you bought an item and they claimed it

was guaranteed to be delivered by the 29, would you would be mad?

Maybe, mad enough to sue for false advertising.

Apple completly handled this situation properly.

I LOVE MY FREE COPY!!

IF APPLE MISREPRESENTED THEMSELVES TO YOU!!

GIVE THEM A CALL!!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    They sent me a mail today saying that they are sending me a free copy of iWork and a credit of $25. I replied back that I still had not received my copy of Tiger and had to go to a local store to buy it. I told them I would probably just ship back the original order. Let's see what they do....
  • Reply 8 of 23
    When they start doling out free powerbooks... ring me.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i think its a positive example of good Apple customer service in th US... where if your shipment is a few days late they give it to you free..!!

i know, its not all the time, and in this case it's mostly with tiger pre-orders
  • Reply 10 of 23
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thatmatt

You guys are just mad

you had to pay for your copy!!

Actually, it's coming in the mail along with the whole Tiger Dev Kit, and I didn't pay anything for it per se.

It's free if you consider the fact that I buy about one computer a year, which totally offsets the cost (and then some) of the ADC Select membership.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    How did you get a free ADC Select Membership? How can I get one?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I paid $500, and then got 20% off of a computer purchase. Old news. If you buy one computer a year (which is pretty cheap thanks to eBay), it pays for itself. Plus it's good to have if you're a developer.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I paid $500, and then got 20% off of a computer purchase. Old news. If you buy one computer a year (which is pretty cheap thanks to eBay), it pays for itself. Plus it's good to have if you're a developer.

just curious mate, what you be developing most of the time? 3D as per your nick or is 3D more hobby/other interest/work ??
  • Reply 14 of 23
    3D is part work, part hobby. As is software, though the software I write tends to be what they call "low level," and is at the highest UNIX C. I'm working on a pretty big program right now, though, that simulates about 100 devices (running at the same time) and I'm trying to have Cocoa delegate threads and do GUI.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

How is this even similar to piracy? He shared a very positive customer service experience.

The only way anyone could take advantage of this, would to to order from Apple, knowing in advance that the order would be late, wait till it is exactly too late for Apple to call it back and shoot an email off to Apple to cancel the order.

Actually, I hope cosmonut sees this so he can see how Phillips should have behaved during his product related issues.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

How is this even similar to piracy? He shared a very positive customer service experience.

The only way anyone could take advantage of this, would to to order from Apple, knowing in advance that the order would be late, wait till it is exactly too late for Apple to call it back and shoot an email off to Apple to cancel the order.

Actually, I hope cosmonut sees this so he can see how Phillips should have behaved during his product related issues.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the post; it's just a bit infantile considering it was only worth less than $100.

• Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

How does it pay for itself? If you tell them your a student. You get tiger for $69. You get 15% of Computers!! And you can get a ADC student pass for $99.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I was an ADC student member in college, but they don't really give you that much. Plus, no hardware discount anymore, and you don't get 15% off just by being a student. Maybe 5%. . . enough to make up for sales tax. If you're ADC select you get 20% off, once a year, and tiger for free. (or so they say. . . I still haven't gotten my shipment.)

Get out the PC-junior and figure the rest out yourself.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

I was an ADC student member in college, but they don't really give you that much. Plus, no hardware discount anymore, and you don't get 15% off just by being a student. Maybe 5%. . . enough to make up for sales tax. If you're ADC select you get 20% off, once a year, and tiger for free. (or so they say. . . I still haven't gotten my shipment.)

Get out the PC-junior and figure the rest out yourself.

According to Apple.com, you should receive a one per lifetime hardware discount. Meanwhile, Apple sent the ADC mailing on April 29, which contained the official release versions of Mac OS X v10.4 and Xcode 2.0 along with the May 2005 Developer CD containing the latest ADC Reference Library documents.

I have been a member of ADC student since 1999. I think $99 is pretty good already in terms of value. Look at other software companies and you will know.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

According to Apple.com, you should receive a one per lifetime hardware discount.

That's what they say, but if you let your subscription lapse, in about 2 weeks they coax you into signing up again by giving you another hardware discount. At least that's how select works. I remember hearing about how Apple stopped the student ADC discount. Maybe that's just hearsay.

Regardless, I'm not a student anyway.