Question for those who PB/iBkers

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well I'm heading off to college soon and with that said I'm going to need a laptop. Ever since getting the iPod, I've been intrigued by the ease of use/stability of this thing.

Now I've been a PC user all my life and was wondering whether or not it was a good move to get a PowerBook. For those of you who have used both platforms, how long did it take for you to learn/get accustomed to the Mac operating system? Which do you prefer using?

I don't do any graphic design, video editing, etc. I'm looking for a machine that's stable and will run without all the virus/adware Windows is littered with. From what I've heard Apple computers tend to be more stable and I was wondering if this was true.

I also noticed that I can get a much better spec PC laptop for the same price I'd pay for a PowerBook. I did further research and apparently Apple's explanation for this is that the Mac OS uses its processor/gigahertz a different way. Is this true? And if so what would a 1.67 ghz Powerbook equate to in PC specs?

Any clues as to when a new PowerBook/iBook is coming out?

I apologize for the long post. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    You cannot really compare the Mac processor with the intel or AMD processor, as they are different beasts alltogether. I can with confidence say that the PowerPC is much more efficient and therefore does not need the higher clock speeds to generate the results of the Intel/AMD processors. Also, with most PC laptops, albeit not the high end ones, everything is integrated which does not make for the best of systems, they will sell you on the numbers, but the actual "Feel" of the machine will just be okay.

If you are rough on your computers the ibook is the way to go, though I have had zero problems with my PB for over a year now. It is able to handle most things I throw at it, and I use large Photoshop files all the time.

I switched back before XP was the Windows OS, and back before OS X was mainstream. Although OS 9 was pretty easy to get accustomed to. OS X was much more easy to learn, and is more "user friendly" so long as you don't out-think the process. Using Windows sometimes makes you go deeper than you have to for most things.

I must say though, that since I have had a Mac, my computer problems have diminished. The family members that used to call me all the time with their PC problems, once they got a Mac, they stopped calling as well. I take that as a blessing.

You can't go wrong with a Mac, especially for what you want to use it for.

Have fun!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Don't kid around, a Pentium-M is much more powerful than a similarily clocked G4, and is pretty power efficient to boot. Get a Mac laptop because of its OS and feel, not performance.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    i currently use an IBM thinkpad and 1.33 G4 12" PowerBook. I personally "enjoy" using Windows XP more since i'm just used to it, although Panther (i'll soon have Tiger) is pretty cool. I like OS X's stability and that's about it. It's nice to be able to open e-mail attachments from strange people

With high end PC laptops, they leave PowerBooks in the dust. They have better screens, faster FSB, faster RAM, and faster CPUs. But since you mentioned that you wanted stability in your operating system and not have to worry about viruses and spyware/adware, that's reason enough to get a Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    also: When comparing PC / mac laptops I'd seriously keep in mind the actual weight of the piece and the battery life. It might be cool to have the fastest I-don't-know-what laptop, but it gets pretty annoying if you get a backache from carrying it around for 30 mins, and it becomes plain unusable if working time on battery power is (too) limited.

Real life specs: my powerbook 1.6 Ghz (brand new battery) gets up to 4 hours of battery life with screen brightness on 60% and doing some wireless surfing. My gf's iBook does about the same on a 2 year old battery (used to be +5 hours).
  • Reply 5 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apoder

[snipe]

Check into what apps you will need for classes, I need things like MS Access, MS Visio, and for next semester, Visual studio.net, I know not everyone is an IT major, but you would be surprised at what software is requiered for some classes, and while there are labs that have the apps, it is nice to have it yourself for the obvious reasons.

I Recomend an iBook and keeping the PC desktop you have as you will likely run into something that needs windows at some point, and with as much of the world using it as does, it is goot to keep fresh on, no matter what the major.

Whatever you buy, a PB, iB, or PC laptop, get no lesss than a 40 gig hdd and 512 megs of ram, do that and you will be fat n' happy,
  • Reply 6 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    First off, I won't kid around: With any new thing comes a learning curve. I much prefer Macs to PCs, and I use both on a daily basis. That said, someone coming from the PC side of things will take a little while to really get "smooth" with a Mac.

There are a LOT of things on Macs that are similar to PCs. There are a lot of things that are different, too. You'll pick up the similarities pretty quickly, but the differences might take a little while. Fear not, they'll come. One general rule that I give to people who are trying to figure things out on a Mac is this:

"If you think it should be able to do something, it probably can."

As far as which laptop to buy, I'd suggest a 12" iBook. It will have all the power you need -- because you aren't doing video editing, etc., and be the size that works best. In college, small is the name of the game. A 12"er will fit nicely on the desk in your dorm, but will also be light and easy enough to carry to the library, someone else's dorm room, or wherever else life takes you.

If you have the opportunity, go down to your local Apple Store or CompUSA and "play" with the laptops there. If you have questions, ask for someone (at CompUSA) who specializes in Macs. Remember this and remember it well: Control+Click is the same as right-click.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    apoderapoder Posts: 49member
    Wow thanks for the input guys-it's really helpful.

I did some further research and it seems like the iBook is the way to go for me seeing how I'll only be doing the basics (internet, word processing, music). Just one question though.

Are iBooks significantly slower than Powerbooks? I've been accustomed to slow computers all my life and it's about time I got something that wouldn't lag if I run 3-4 applications at once. Also, are there any qualities distinguishing the PB from the iBook that would be of great importance to a student like myself (I won't be majoring in anything computer related).
  • Reply 8 of 10
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apoder

Wow thanks for the input guys-it's really helpful.

I did some further research and it seems like the iBook is the way to go for me seeing how I'll only be doing the basics (internet, word processing, music). Just one question though.

Are iBooks significantly slower than Powerbooks? I've been accustomed to slow computers all my life and it's about time I got something that wouldn't lag if I run 3-4 applications at once. Also, are there any qualities distinguishing the PB from the iBook that would be of great importance to a student like myself (I won't be majoring in anything computer related).

I'd say get as much RAM as possible initially- OS X loves ram- the more the better.

Also, check this out:

http://education.apple.com/students/go/save/

$100 Mail-in rebate
  • Reply 9 of 10
    produktprodukt Posts: 21member
    Hey i was in the same boat as you..last year, wow it's been a year already.

anyhow, i was planning to buy a ibook like you, but instead chose to get the powerbook. i don't know what it was about the aluminum, but i couldn't get my eyes off it (heck im stuck on it to this day). i was worried about the speed difference cause the 'specs' imply that macs are soo much slower. but don't even worry about that. i haven't really noticed anything horrible about the mac (although i haven't done anything gaming). but yeah, a mac will definitely be perfect for college and a student like you. dipping and dabbling in the iLife products and final cut is unspeakably fun. though i still dont know the ins and outs like some of the veterans here, its an exciting time to own a mac.

the most beautiful thing about the mac (other than the mac itself) is os x. i know everybody says that and it's hard to believe how great an os can be coming from windows but seriously its brilliant. its easy and intuitive and just comes off as just plain genius. when you think you don't know how to do something you always got friendly forums like this one. and when you actually come around to doing it, you can't believe how easy it was! (can't even tell you how shocked i was when i first installed/uninstalled a program) i never once regretted 'switching' and i can envision many more mac purchases in the future. like they say, once you go mac you can't go back! (okay maybe only i say that)

but my advice to you is perhaps you should wait a little before you buy anything. because i bought my pb during summer maybe like 2 months before school started and they were offering a deal when you bought a laptop and ipod you get 200 dollars off the total purchase. i forgot what is was called..jam and pack? or something like that. apple will probably market a deal toward students like yourself come the end of summer or beginning of the school year. good luck kid.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Do not buy an iBook/PowerBook until Steve gives his keynote address at WWDC2005 on Monday, June 6, 2005 because he might announce a new line of iBooks/PowerBooks, and I would hate for you to get a new laptop only to see a new model (better specs/less price) get unveiled shortly after your's comes in the mail.

It took me about a month to get comfortable using my iBook and during that time I moved all my personal files from my Win2k Pro to the iBook. I have been using it for all my personal computing needs and the Windows is now strictly for developing. I much prefer the Mac OS over Windows because it feels more fluid.

There is no set schedule for when the computers are refreshed, but if you click the link below it will take you to a site that guesstimates, based on past upgrades, when the next one will occur. They do not give the dates, but do give recommendations.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/