Absurd Longhorn system requirements

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

most Dell systems to come with integrated graphics. I remember all the complaints of how slow OS X was with graphics. I imagine there will be lots of complaints with Avalon for XP or Longhorn.

That's a point. Correct me if I wrong, but OS X the only OS in existence that takes advantage of the GPU as well as the CPU. Dell PCs don't need fancy graphics cards, because Windows doesn't do anything with them. The only reason to buy something better than an integrated graphics chip in a PC is to play games.

Avalon will, of course, change that and "force" people to buy more expensive PCs (though it will, of course, be possible to turn it off, but what's the point of it then ). Suddenly Macs will look so much more attractively priced.

Maybe Longhorn will actually increase the number of switchers as people become ever more dissatisfied with M$'s new (resource hog) OS.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

You don't run an OS just for the sake of running an OS.

The same goes for Tiger as well. I cannot imagine how many people have already thought about buying a newer Mac (or video card upgrade) so they can get ripples...

It's becoming ridiculous, IMHO. All this eye candy wastes system resources. Are people really that simple to be conned into buying new hardware for eye candy?
  • Reply 23 of 27
    namo4184namo4184 Posts: 25member
    You can pry my eye candy from my cold dead fingers... I got a sweet tooth. I happen to like nice cars, sexy women, and beautiful computers.

People don't by cars just to get from point A to point B. They want luxurious, comfortable, and handsome cars. Why not computers!
  • Reply 24 of 27
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    My computer is not a status symbol, it's a tool.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    Ripples aside, eye candy is not simply useless candy, it often serves a real purpose. Exposé, for example, is a great bit of "eye candy" that adds a real value in being able to tell very quickly navigate through lots of open windows. It can't be done without a sophisticated window rendering system built into the operating system.

I would definitely pay extra to get a decent graphics card that can smoothly create the exposé animation without bring the system to a grinding halt (there are a few Windows based immitations that do just that). Not only does it look good, but it also makes the "tool" more useful.

As Randycat99 pointed out, you run the OS not for its own sake, but for applications. Tiger is not about the ripples (nice as they are), it is about something like Quartz Extreme. Again, I would upgrade my video card if, by doing so, the windowing system could be run almost entirely in the GPU. This would leave the CPU free to run the applications, potentially giving my computer a huge speed both.

Imagine buying a car that not only looks nice, but also uses half the fuel at triple the speed! 8)
  • Reply 26 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

My computer is not a status symbol, it's a tool.

True but the only way to prevent yourself from "wasting" resources is to keep your computer pegged at %100 cpu utilization 24x7 365.

Of course people don't do that so you gotta add a little spice to keep them entertained right?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by jms698

What is the recommended system to run Tiger?

I can't believe Microsoft: they are copying Apple with Longhorn, but they can't even copy fast (as Steve Jobs said). Now it seems they can't even copy efficiently.

Only MS could implement features such as "dot-per-inch scaling, 3D window management and the thumbnail document previews" in such a way that they require such a monster.

(I guess Intel has to justify their new CPUs somehow )

They have been talking about those specs for about 18 months now. I read that before tiger was an alpha. I can't believe they are sticking to that.