Enabling Quartz 2-D Extreme in Tiger

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    markus1982markus1982 Posts: 23member
    I'm not 100% sure, but i think i found out, why they disabled QE2D in Tiger ...

I have a 15" 1.67 Ghz Powerbooks with the 128 VRam.

I enabled QE2D via Quartz Debug, but couldn't notice any difference in any application (yes, i restarted applications).

Then i tried to make a custom screensaver with Quartz Composer until it some parts of the screen began flushing blue, then the interface became more and more scattered until it looked like a weird mixture of the Hardware-tests test-screens for the gpu.

I had to restart by holding down the powerbutton.

I was pretty shocked ("could that be a hardware issue?") but i never had this problem again. Since then i didn't enable QE2D again.

Anyone else noticed any bugs regarding QE2D???

And I hope QE2D is the reason for the not so smooth Exposé. That's a little annoying since it looked so smooth in panther. Maybe they fix it in 10.4.1 and Exposé will be as snappy as it was.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    dr. zoidbergdr. zoidberg Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Markus1982

And I hope QE2D is the reason for the not so smooth Exposé. That's a little annoying since it looked so smooth in panther. Maybe they fix it in 10.4.1 and Exposé will be as snappy as it was.

i noticed the same thing ...
  • Reply 43 of 79
    hitbyhitby Posts: 38member
    I have it enabled on my 12' 1.33 powerbook, Expose/dashboard are beautifully smooth!

Dan
  • Reply 44 of 79
    hanxuhanxu Posts: 22member
    when i enable qe2d, and go to make a new imovie with picture, the pictures not show correctly
  • Reply 45 of 79
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hitby

I have it enabled on my 12' 1.33 powerbook, Expose/dashboard are beautifully smooth!

Dan

As do I on my 12" 1 Ghz PB. Everything runs so much more smoothly when compared to Panther. I am loving Tiger each and everyday that I use it.
  • Reply 46 of 79
    Have to say - the best example I found apart from Safari in enabling this, was Address book - just resize the window and checkout how fast it goes before/after enabling - looking forward to the point release where they fix the bugs and turn this sucker on...
  • Reply 47 of 79
    ulmoulmo Posts: 21member
    This might be a bug, but when you minimize Quicktime whilst playing a movie, it no longer continues to play in the dock.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    magicfingersmagicfingers Posts: 703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ulmo

This might be a bug, but when you minimize Quicktime whilst playing a movie, it no longer continues to play in the dock.

mine still does with Q2DX (or whatever) enabled
  • Reply 49 of 79
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    According to MacBidouille, when you are enabling Quartz 2 D extreme in tiger, the CPU load is decreasing from 30 to 13 % when your are moving a huge window on a dual 2,5 G5.
  • Reply 50 of 79
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    powerbook 15 inch 1.5 ghz ati 9700 mobility. no such quartz2dextreme plist file, anywhere...help?
  • Reply 51 of 79
    According to MOSR, Q2DE may be enabled in 10.4.1. I know it's only MOSR, but maybe they managed to get some reliable info from ADC members.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Q2DE may be enabled in 10.4.1

Not yet. We have 2 builds so far and it is still off.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Not yet. We have 2 builds so far and it is still off.

MOSR say it may be enabled by the time 10.4.1 is available, which means it's not enalbed in the last builds.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So OK, will this work if you have 32 VRAM and make it work? Will it still speed things up? I'm on the original 12" PB G4 with the 32 VRAM.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

So OK, will this work if you have 32 VRAM and make it work? Will it still speed things up? I'm on the original 12" PB G4 with the 32 VRAM.

No.

You and I with my iBook 1Ghz and ATI Mobility 9200 with 32MB are stuck with software emulated Q2D.

However, every release by Apple, today and moving forward supports Q2D Extreme.
  • Reply 56 of 79
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Quote:

All of you folks with a Radeon 9600 or better, or nVidia 5200 go or better, don't forget to turn on Quartz 2-D Extreme.

• Reply 57 of 79
    carvascarvas Posts: 8member
    i've got a 1.33ghz powerbook with 512mb ram, and i used Quartz Debug to try to improve Tiger's performance (wich is slower than Panther), principally handling with Exposé that now is not smooth and fast as it was in Panther.

i don't know if i'm doing anything wrong, i did all the steps described here to enable Quartz 2D Extreme, but sincerely i don't see any improvement.

i would like to know if anyone is experiencing my problem.

oh, by the way, i did an Archive Install... don't know if this could be the problem.

thanks
  • Reply 58 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by carvas

i don't know if i'm doing anything wrong, i did all the steps described here to enable Quartz 2D Extreme, but sincerely i don't see any improvement.

Well, as i wrote earlier, I did'nt see any improvements on my 15" 1,67 PB. I think Apple had it's reasons to disable it in the release and we'll finally get back our smooth exposé. Maybe in 10.4.1!?
  • Reply 59 of 79
    carvascarvas Posts: 8member
    let's hope so... Exposé is the pride of my mac...
  • Reply 60 of 79
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I thought I saw someone comment though on a way to force it on even with less than the optimal VRAM, so it would work with 32?