12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Some people might.

All too right.

Some people will think that it's coming from Apple.
  • Reply 102 of 113
    mrtoastmrtoast Posts: 2member
    I'm sorry, but I think that's got to be one of the dumbest article titles I've ever read.

"Forthcoming Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update addresses Tiger issues"

You mean Apple's going to release an update for Tiger? And it's going to address some bugs? No way! Who'dve thunk?

MrToast
  • Reply 103 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by MrToast

I'm sorry, but I think that's got to be one of the dumbest article titles I've ever read.

"Forthcoming Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update addresses Tiger issues"

You mean Apple's going to release an update for Tiger? And it's going to address some bugs? No way! Who'dve thunk?

MrToast

WOW!

You're sharp.
  • Reply 104 of 113
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The "virii" spelling is just as correct as "viruses".

Both pronunciations are correct. Cf. http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ry&va=ideology

• Reply 105 of 113
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The "virii" spelling is just as correct as "viruses".

Both pronunciations are correct. Cf. http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ry&va=ideology

In the USA English perhaps. Not in UK English. Not in the Apple dictionary widget either - no mention of virii - to stray vaguely on topic ;-).

Sorry it just grates that gradually American mis-spelling and bad pronunciation is spreading. Christ, last week I even heard an English BBC presenter pronouncing IRAQ the American way - ie. like eye-rack instead of the Iraqi way.

Anyway, stepping off today's hobby horse...
  • Reply 106 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

In the USA English perhaps. Not in UK English. Not in the Apple dictionary widget either - no mention of virii - to stray vaguely on topic ;-).

Sorry it just grates that gradually American mis-spelling and bad pronunciation is spreading. Christ, last week I even heard an English BBC presenter pronouncing IRAQ the American way - ie. like eye-rack instead of the Iraqi way.

Anyway, stepping off today's hobby horse...

It's American English that's spreading around the world.

Pronunciation changes over the years as well. The truth is that almost all English have terrible pronunciation. We do as well. It depends on where you are from.

Lower class English pronunciation and accents are the worst I've ever heard. At least the strongest American accents are understandable.
  • Reply 107 of 113
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    On topic! On topic! Language discussion over THATaway...

Language may mutate. These forums should not. Get hither with yon linguistic soliloquies, before I pop a cap in yo ass.
  • Reply 108 of 113
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    10.3.9 still working great.

I don't understand why so many people rushed to install 10.4. Even less I have a hard time understanding those people's reactions to bugs in a .0 release.

Hello?

6.0? 7.0? 7.5? 8.0? 8.5? 9.0?, 10.0.0?, 10.1.0?, and lets not forget the infamous 10.2.0!

I waited for 6.1, 7.1, 7.6, 8.1, 8.6, 9.1, etc.

Dance for me guinea pigs! DANCE! MUHUHAHAHAHA

/goes back to his rock-solid 10.3.9 system with his rock-solid 10.3.9-friendly applications
  • Reply 109 of 113
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by strobe

10.3.9 still working great.

I don't understand why so many people rushed to install 10.4. Even less I have a hard time understanding those people's reactions to bugs in a .0 release.

Hello?

6.0? 7.0? 7.5? 8.0? 8.5? 9.0?, 10.0.0?, 10.1.0?, and lets not forget the infamous 10.2.0!

I waited for 6.1, 7.1, 7.6, 8.1, 8.6, 9.1, etc.

/goes back to his rock-solid 10.3.9 system with his rock-solid 10.3.9-friendly applications

ROFLMAO funny sh1t mate,

(iBook 933mhz G4 256mb RAM on the world's most stable prosumer operating system, Mac OS 10.3.9)
  • Reply 110 of 113
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by strobe

I refuse to do anything more than run on this wheel
  • Reply 111 of 113
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Some people might.

There's a lot of things people might and can do. Popups with shakey gifs inside that tell you your PC is infected get clicked on too when it obviously some hook for spyware.

In my opinion, all that is needed is some security settings relating to new/untrusted widgets. Apple has done the minimum, but they could take a few extra steps to ensure that lamers don't get themselves rooted.

I'd be more worries about unscrupulous individuals posting some new killer widget to VersionTracker that actually kills, doing more harm than good. Those who love to install all these random apps and such would likely download and approve the widget, and the damage would be done long before the Mac community jumps on them and to the rescue.

In general: Look Before You Leap
  • Reply 112 of 113
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Funny how just a short time ago, Microsoft was chastized for it's lax security policy... Apple does not have a stellar record and this ain't helping.

Sorry guys, but it's the truth... this could be a big deal.