Xbox 360: Revealed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I'm sending him after you.

took me a second to figure out who I was looking at there, But that is damn funny.

Edit: please change my number of posts to 666 and my status to spawn of satan
  • Reply 22 of 92
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    That's Angus Young, right?
  • Reply 23 of 92
    Since when is Microsoft expected to make a profit on any given thing they do?

All they care about is taking a few sales away from the other guys, more and more over time.

The games are now plentiful and high quality and top titles. Next version will be even more popular.

There is still room for both though.

And people will have both systems. Only fanbois want one over the other.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Apparently the Nintendo Revolution has the potential to be the most powerful of the three consoles, but then again they are releasing it last...

IMO you can only get a good console experience by having all three consoles. The Xbox has Halo 2 (I admit a slight disappointment, wtf is up with the multiplayer - complete crap). The PS2 has Gran Turismo 4 and the Gamecube has the Metroid Prime games (simply the best most engrossing single player I've played for years). No one console has it all.

What do people reckon about the Xbox, could is possibly be more powerful than the PS3, after all, it does have a triple core 3Ghz PowerPC processor, whilst the Cell is what, a 9 core processor, one at 2Ghz the 8 others at 1Ghz?!? I simply can't wait to see what graphics capability these new consoles have, should be amazing.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    While the GameCube was fun for a few select titles (Mario Kart and a few Star Wars), I definitely won't be jumping into another Nintendo thingy unless it at least plays DVDs.

But if it's cheap enough...yeah.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

it does have a triple core 3Ghz PowerPC processor

And sells for $299? Mr. Jobs has been holding out on us...
  • Reply 27 of 92
    What??? Who uses their console to play DVDs??? I'm sorry but all this turning consoles into media centers is such a con and complete BS. No console plays DVDs as good as a decent DVD player, besides, soon enough DVD recorders will be standard, and the DVD feature in consoles will become redundant.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

What??? Who uses their console to play DVDs??? I'm sorry but all this turning consoles into media centers is such a con and complete BS. No console plays DVDs as good as a decent DVD player, besides, soon enough DVD recorders will be standard, and the DVD feature in consoles will become redundant.

The PS 2 plays DVDs a whole lot better than my Sony DVD player did (it was a 1st generation $1000 player - S7000?), so I sold the DVD player.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

And sells for $299? Mr. Jobs has been holding out on us...

LOL! Yeah but look at the buying power. Perhaps Apple should come out with an iConsole or something, that would help reduce the cost of the the PPC chips.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    Quote:

Set aside the snobbery for a second and realize plenty of folks want to pop in a DVD for a quick movie if the game console is already just sitting there.

PS2 and XBOX play them, it was only GameCube that went that odd mini disc route.

But XBOX should have just allowed playback with the game controller rather than forcing people to buy the remote and RF adapter.

Most people don't give a rats ass about all that DVD/HD purist crap for the vast majority of movies they watch.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

What??? Who uses their console to play DVDs???

For starters: nearly every college and high school boarding student in america. \
  • Reply 32 of 92
    But the DVD player is *already sitting there* in most cases. I didn't mean to come off snobbish but in reality most people don't use a console as a DVD player, it's a gimmick, another tick on the features list, and I applause Nintendo for avoiding an essentially worthless feature.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    I disagree. I believe that during the time the PS2 was first released the DVD player was a very strong selling point. This was a time when DVDs weren't the standard yet. When they still only occupied a corner of blockbuster. Additionally, most college kids can't afford to get a high quality DVD player and a PS2, given the choice, they almost invariably choose the PS2, simply because it enables them to slack off with their favorite games and watch DVDs.

Maybe today DVD players are a little bit redundant because it's gotten to the point where you can get quality players for much cheaper than you could 3 years ago, but still, for teens and young adults that can't necessarily afford a game system and a DVD player, but they want both. It's a fantastic feature.

I personally don't have a DVD player in my room, but I have a PS2, so I use that. Sure there are some problems with the audio playback and stuff, but it beats not having any DVD player.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    Fair enough. There's no disputing your point, it's just from my experience (I live in a reasonably affluent area) most people I know have a DVD player. In fact, DVD players are seen as a more essential purchase for home entertainment than a games console - despite consoles having DVD players.

As you mention, the feature was great when it came out. Now however, with the wide acceptance of the DVD standard this feature has become far less significant.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

And people will have both systems. Only fanbois want one over the other.

Did you just call anyone who makes an informed purchase, and does not buy both consoles, a fanboi?

For the current gen of consoles, there are differences so big that for many people there is a console that is clearly better than the others. We don't yet know reliably what the next gen is like, so we don't know how different they are. So far I see no special reason to believe that they will be more alike, or less alike. There might perfectly well be differences big enough in next gen consoles that many people can again choose their device easily.

For many people, lack of money will stop them from owning multiple consoles. Lack of time can have a similar effect.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Quote:

As you mention, the feature was great when it came out. Now however, with the wide acceptance of the DVD standard this feature has become far less significant.

For sure, of course, the DVD players in both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are likely to be far superior in quality than their predecessors, so maybe it won't be a big issue really. But still, now that everyone has a DVD player, these consoles having them probably won't translate into any more sales.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'll get whatever Nintendo puts out. Fanboy until I die.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I'll get whatever Nintendo puts out. Fanboy until I die.

I agree, I'm something of a nintendo fanboy myself. I personally think that the Gamecube is a great system with excellent games. I also enjoy my PS2(largely because it enables me to watch DVDs) but I have more fun with the gamecube in the end.

Well, I don't really game anymore anyway, so what do I care.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Did you just call anyone who makes an informed purchase, and does not buy both consoles, a fanboi?

Not explicitly, but I did leave out people that can only afford one or who are only mildly interested in gaming.

I said "Only fanbois want one over the other." Most people will want them all (or at least key titles or features the others might have) but reality means they get to buy only one.

Fanbois on the otherhand will not listen to arguments in favor of the other systems and would never contemplate having the other systems. They actively don't want them.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I agree, I'm something of a nintendo fanboy myself. I personally think that the Gamecube is a great system with excellent games. I also enjoy my PS2(largely because it enables me to watch DVDs) but I have more fun with the gamecube in the end.

Well, I don't really game anymore anyway, so what do I care.

I have not owned a game console since last year, but that is what allowed me to get my mac so no complaints, but if I were to get another game system, it would be Nintendo, I like Xbox, but Halo 2 as a dramatic disappointment (beat it with a friend in 3 days). I have always been a nintendo fan, I loved N64, actually I still have that one . . . and I have owned 3 Gamecubes, because I would buy them and then someone would offer me an insane ammount of money(one guy paid my 400 for my gamecube with 2 memory cards, 2 controllers, metroid prime and Smash Brothers) and I kept buying them. I currently do not own one because I simple do not have time to play games.

On another note, I personally do not like the new Xbox, with the white and the curves, it looks like a poor attempt to make a stylish gaming system and it reminds me of a older dell model that looked somewhat similar to that, laid on its side and had a laptop cd-rom drive, with a button in the same place.