Media Player for OS 8

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can anyone recommend a freeware media player for a 7200 running OS8. It must be able to play mp3's and preferably also cd's. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Can anyone recommend a freeware media player for a 7200 running OS8. It must be able to play mp3's and preferably also cd's. Thanks in advance.

VersionTracker is your friend.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    What's OS 8
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    haha sorry, but i have to be the one to say "Time to upgrade to Tiger." i know you have a legitimate reason to still be using OS8 so I won't question it any further.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Well I;ve had my PMAC 7100 running Mac OS 8.6 and Apple iTunes version one. There is a patch lying around on the internet which allows you to install iTunes v1 on pre-OS 9 Macs, and works, providing you have the latest version of CarbonLib.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by richieg261

Well I;ve had my PMAC 7100 running Mac OS 8.6 and Apple iTunes version one. There is a patch lying around on the internet which allows you to install iTunes v1 on pre-OS 9 Macs, and works, providing you have the latest version of CarbonLib.

There is such a thing as a pre-MacOS 9 Mac, but yours in not one of them. Your PowerMac 7100 and mynamehere's PowerMac 7200 will run MacOS 9.1. All you have to do is install it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    thanks for the info guys. The 7200 belongs to the drama club at school and it's used to play the sound cues during shows. Since our budget is pretty, well, nonexistant really, we get to use the stuff the school is getting rid of...thus a 9-year-old computer, which I still consider better than the windows 98 computer they offered us initially.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    thanks for the info guys. The 7200 (Mac OS 8.5) belongs to the drama club at school and it's used to play the sound cues during shows. Since our budget is pretty, well, nonexistant really, we get to use the stuff the school is getting rid of...thus a 9-year-old computer, which I still consider better than the windows 98 computer they offered us initially.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

There is such a thing as a pre-MacOS 9 Mac, but yours in not one of them. Your PowerMac 7100 and mynamehere's PowerMac 7200 will run MacOS 9.1. All you have to do is install it.

Yes... but if you try and run Mac OS 9.x on a 7100/7200, the system speed completely bottoms out, unless you strip the whole system down to barebones. That's why I keep to Mac OS 8.6, which I consider more stable and faster for these kinds of mac systems, which just cannot handle it (without a processor upgrade cards anyways).
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by richieg261

Yes... but if you try and run Mac OS 9.x on a 7100/7200, the system speed completely bottoms out, unless you strip the whole system down to barebones. That's why I keep to Mac OS 8.6, which I consider more stable and faster for these kinds of mac systems, which just cannot handle it (without a processor upgrade cards anyways).

Or you could add RAM.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    I suggest you use the program SoundApp by Norman Franke. I used this program a lot when I started out using macs way back when on a Powerbook 150 running System 7.

The program will play a host of audio media types including MP3 as well as convert audio types. It was THE standard when I was running system 7 and 8. As they say, break a leg.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

thanks for the info guys. The 7200 (Mac OS 8.5) belongs to the drama club at school and it's used to play the sound cues during shows. Since our budget is pretty, well, nonexistant really, we get to use the stuff the school is getting rid of...thus a 9-year-old computer, which I still consider better than the windows 98 computer they offered us initially.

win 98 box + wipe drive and install linux + the built in tools (or if u dont like anything else but itunes) - built in tools + wine + itunes 4 Most win 98-era units are more than sufficiant as MP3 jukeboxes/ques

There is also linux builds for the PPC and they have MP3/cd/audio playback software built in