Seems that the Dell 2005FPW is the best 20" LCD?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm ordering a dual 2GHz PM and even with an educational discount it seems that the Dell is better and cheaper than the Apple 20" display, with the exception that the Dell doesn't have firewire access and it's fugly.

I can live with a monitor that reads "Dell," I can just use the plugs on the PM itself, and cable clutter isn't a big deal so is there really any downside to the Dell?

Is there anything better I should check out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    I just got my Power Mac today... finally. My 20" ACD has been sitting here since last Friday. Anyway, I bellieve this LCD is absolutely fantastic. It is by far the best display that I have ever had. Of course, I cannot compare it to the Dell 2005FPW, but I do know that I would purchase another one.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    both use the same phillips screen although the dell somehow lists better specs. same same, but one is ugly and the other $$.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macinphile

is there really any downside to the Dell?

it's ugly as sin.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

it's ugly as sin.

If you decorate the monitor with the money you saved ordering the Dell over the Apple, the Dell looks mighty slick!

I agree tho, the Dell isn't in the same league as the Apple as far as aesthetics... I just wish the price disparity weren't so great.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    curufinwecurufinwe Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macinphile

I'm ordering a dual 2GHz PM and even with an educational discount it seems that the Dell is better and cheaper than the Apple 20" display, with the exception that the Dell doesn't have firewire access and it's fugly.

I can live with a monitor that reads "Dell," I can just use the plugs on the PM itself, and cable clutter isn't a big deal so is there really any downside to the Dell?

Is there anything better I should check out?

Yes, the samsung 213T is 21 inches, and gorgeous for about 100 bucks more. Just got one and it kicks ass. It is not widescreen though.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I have a 2005FPW on my Shuttle. It's a gorgeous panel, although there are some backlighting issues which are I gather a Dell only problem despite the same panel being used in the Apple Cinema displays.

I don't agree that it looks ugly at all. Admitedly my last screen was a massive old CRT but this still looks pretty nice to me. The base is overly bulky but in it's favor it can be rotated easily to portrait mode. The main advantage of this for me is the ability to play vertical shooters in MAME as they should be played with the screen rotated. I also have my Dreamcast plugged into the screen for the same reason, and conveniently it can use the VGA input while the PC uses DVI. A little button on the front switches inputs, and there are also SVideo and Composite inputs to be had.

The Apple 20" Cinema is a beautiful thing, and if I was pairing it with a PowerMac I'd be tempted to go for it just for the aesthetics. But for value and features, and remember the screen itself is identical on both, then the Dell is the clear winner.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Actually,

Anandtech recently reviewed both and came out with the idea that Apples monitor is superior to Dell and the tests show that Dell greatly exaggerate their specs to try to sound better than Apple. The reality is that both companies use the exact same panel, but some other internal circuitry is left to to Apple and Dell. That is where Apple takes the lead. Also, for some reason the Apple is brighter and attained greater color clarity after tuning-it was not as good out of the box.

The dell did end up being the pick, but not because it is better-in fact the Apple is. the dell was picked because it is 200 dollars cheaper and can be had for a ridiculously cheap price if you look hard enough.

Whoa... A Dreamcast user. Me too!

ha ha. I actually think the DCs graphics are every bit as good as PS2 (except for GT of course)
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I think the Dell will be "good enough," right? I'll primarily be using the setup for amateur photo editing in PS7, surfing, games, and some non-intensive applications (organization via iCal, Adress Book, Widgets, iTunes, Text Edit).

Color accuracy shouldn't be too much of an issue unless it's noticeably off.

If the picture is more or less identical, the Stupid Bezel is worth saving a few hundred $$s.

Time to order the Dell and a couple sticks of RAM 8)
  • Reply 9 of 30
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    Stay away from the Dell unless egregiously flagrant backlighting issues don't register on your list of concerns. Perhaps they have resolved this issue by now, I've no clue, but I'd pay the extra premium on the Apple offering for the reassurance alone.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by JonE

Stay away from the Dell unless egregiously flagrant backlighting issues don't register on your list of concerns. Perhaps they have resolved this issue by now, I've no clue, but I'd pay the extra premium on the Apple offering for the reassurance alone.

The backlighting issues are only apparently if you look at a black or very dark screen in a dark room with the lights off. They're impossible to see under normal lighting and screen display conditions.

That said, I think the issues are all fixed now anyway.

TBH the ability to play games in TATE (rotated) mode is worth buying the Dell alone, and when you take the price difference into consideration...
  • Reply 11 of 30
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kotatsu

The backlighting issues are only apparently if you look at a black or very dark screen in a dark room with the lights off. They're impossible to see under normal lighting and screen display conditions.

That said, I think the issues are all fixed now anyway.

TBH the ability to play games in TATE (rotated) mode is worth buying the Dell alone, and when you take the price difference into consideration...

That situation comes up often in everyday recreation, such as watching a movie or playing a game at night. And in the interest of proper color, you want your blacks to be black. Although if the problems are fixed, then by all means, get the better value.

What kind of Mac games are designed with portrait mode in mind, BTW? I would value that feature more for viewing web pages and working with documents, as it emulates the dimensions of paper well.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

Anandtech recently reviewed both and came out with the idea that Apples monitor is superior to Dell and the tests show that Dell greatly exaggerate their specs to try to sound better than Apple.

You mean like that contrast ratio measurement that shows 4x bullshit factor for Apple and 6x bullshit factor for Dell?

Sorry, but I had to score their honesty on that one, I'd give a big fat "F" to both. Failed equals failed.
    Quote:

The reality is that both companies use the exact same panel, but some other internal circuitry is left to to Apple and Dell. That is where Apple takes the lead. Also, for some reason the Apple is brighter and attained greater color clarity after tuning-it was not as good out of the box.

The article clearly says the Dell was both measured and subjectively observed to be brighter and to have superior contrast ratio. Besides, how do you change maximum brightness by calibration? You have not only misread but claimed the impossible.

Subjective scores show color advantage to Apple after calibration, that much is true.
    Quote:

The dell did end up being the pick, but not because it is better-in fact the Apple is. the dell was picked because it is 200 dollars cheaper and can be had for a ridiculously cheap price if you look hard enough.

I quote Anandtech from the final page from the review:

"In fact, if both monitors cost the same, it would be very difficult to choose either display"

There's no way to twist that to "Apple's monitor was better". Did you even read the article? I'm beginning to have doubts.

To recap, pro Dell:

contrast, brightness, VGA, SVHS, composite, PiP, pivot, height adjustment, side adjustment, 3yr warranty, price

pro Apple:

colors, Firewire hub, cable management, looks, less chance of having to return units before getting good one

Which display is better? The right answer is, it depends. Objectively speaking, Dell takes clear feature and price lead. Apple has mostly subjective things going for it.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by JonE

That situation comes up often in everyday recreation, such as watching a movie or playing a game at night. And in the interest of proper color, you want your blacks to be black. Although if the problems are fixed, then by all means, get the better value.

What kind of Mac games are designed with portrait mode in mind, BTW? I would value that feature more for viewing web pages and working with documents, as it emulates the dimensions of paper well.

I've played a lot of Doom 3 and Half Life 2 in a totally black room, and the only time I notice the back lighting issues are when I am looking at a near or totally black area of the scenery. I'm pretty fussy about the quality of display equipment but I think this has been blown out of all proportion.

As for TATE mode, if you use MAME you would get a lot of use out of it. Completely transforms vertical shooters, of which there are many in MAME.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    I think the backlight problems have been blown out of proportion for the simple reason called "warranty". Possibly having to wait for a replacement monitor is a genuine downside but IMO not nearly as bad than being forced to keep a bad monitor.

/me out
  • Reply 15 of 30
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Assuming your choice is between the apple and the dell, I would definitely go with the dell. I also read the anandtech article a while back, and my overall impression was that the dell was better featurewise, and a clear winner when price was factored in. On the other hand, if the monitor matching the computer is important to you, then the apple would be the way to go. That having been said, I've worked with a 17 inch dell which appears to have the same design and it's really not all that ugly, and after all, what's important is what's on the screen. My 1 x 2 cents.

Here's the quick breakdown of specs between the two: http://www.anandtech.com/displays/sh...spx?i=2400&p=9
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

Has no one seen this yet? http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400

Two posts above yours discuss that article.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    I haven't noticed any problems at all with the 24" Dell.

Pixel Test was 100% and it's such a pleasure to work with.

It was really only a bit more than the Apple 20" and well worth the difference.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

it's ugly as sin.

Just because you are dating Helena Christensen it doesn´t mean all other women are unattractive.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    i prefer mac because of few wires, the lcd screen, they dont get viruses and also they're easier to use the microsoft as well as better projucts... but a dell computer its self is good from what ive been hearing from other dell users... it all depends on what you like/prefer, ect.