iTunes not working on PC

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I recently got my brother to download iTunes and try it so he could see how easy to use Mac software is but for some reason his stupid PC will not let it work. It installs fine but when it tries to launch it only gets to the software license acceptance screen. He clicks "accept" and then gets an error message saying something to the effect that the iTunes folder cannot be found or created and that its default location is in the My Music folder. Well, we have tried everything - manually creating the folder, rebooting, uninstalling and reinstalling the software, etc. It just won't work. I know it has to be something stupid either Windows or he is doing but I cannot figure out what it is. I know next to nothing about Windows and he knows nothing about computers, period. If anyone can offer a solution, please do so!!!

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Are you creating a folder called "iTunes" or "iTunes music" inside the My Documents > My Music folder? I believe it has to be, simply, "iTunes".

Also, see this post from the support board:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
  • Reply 2 of 9
    whiterabbitwhiterabbit Posts: 208member
    Maybe try closing all unnessesary programs, from the task bar and the task manager. I don't really think that would be a problem, I have never seen anything like that, I can't think of anything else.

My Music is a special folder, and though it's not supposed to, Windows might be doing something funny with it. You could try using TweakUI to change, or reset the folder by changing it back after.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Are you creating a folder called "iTunes" or "iTunes music" inside the My Documents > My Music folder? I believe it has to be, simply, "iTunes".

Also, see this post from the support board:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Yeah, he's probably right. This registry fix thing is probably what will fix it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jvernonjvernon Posts: 10member
    Thanks! We will try it again this evening.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jvernonjvernon Posts: 10member
    Well, time for that Windows cure all: format the hard drive and reinstall everything...

The registry edit did not work, not that I really knew what I was doing, but...

Turns out he had moved the Music folder to a USB drive, changed the contents there, then moved it back to the main drive. Why in God's name he did this is beyond me but apparently Windows can no longer recognize nor create a "real" My Music folder.

Thanks for the help but I had a feeling all along this was something stupid he had done (see original post). He does the formatting thing about twice a year so this is no biggie to him.

Thank God I have a Mac!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    It that is the case, then I would think that simply resetting the music folder would do it. Just change it to something else, and then change it back, per the tweakui instructions.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    serpentserpent Posts: 8member
    why not just trying to re-install iTunes? go to start/settings/contol panel/add&remove programs and let windows uninstall everything. double check that iTunes folder in windows explorer and my documents were deleted and if not r-click and delete. reboot machine and try to re-install the software again. it should work then, if not uninstall again reboot and search the web for either iolo's system mechanic5 http://www.iolo.com/sm/download.cfm or superwin's regvac http://www.superwin.com/regvac.htm run the registry cleaners in either prog and then re-install iTunes. lastly if if that still doesn't work and you have system restore on a check point should have been saved when you first installed iTunes. use that and all should be fine.

Serpent
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rustedborgrustedborg Posts: 151member
    Sorry to pull this thread back from the dead, but I'm trying to help my sister get iTunes up and running on her new Windows PC. I installed iTunes, everything seemed to be just fine. I purchased a couple of songs ... still fine. When I go to pay the songs the play button clicks over as if it is trying to play, but the little pointer indicating that the song is playing doesn't move and there is no sound.

I've tried re-installing iTunes ... nothing seems to work.

What's going on?

The only thing I can think of is that her machine is a new AMD Athlon PC ... so maybe iTunes for Windowsonly runs on Intel chips???

I'd appreciate any help you can give. The apple support pages were useless.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    rustedborgrustedborg Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

Sorry to pull this thread back from the dead, but I'm trying to help my sister get iTunes up and running on her new Windows PC. I installed iTunes, everything seemed to be just fine. I purchased a couple of songs ... still fine. When I go to pay the songs the play button clicks over as if it is trying to play, but the little pointer indicating that the song is playing doesn't move and there is no sound.

I've tried re-installing iTunes ... nothing seems to work.

Well, this morning I tried un-installing and re-installing iTunes on my sister's PC and for some reason it works now. I don't know what happened, but it seems fine.

It's stuff like this that drives me crazy about Windows boxes.

Take care!