Using F12 as Dashboard on iBook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do you do this? When you hold F12 it is eject, but when I just tap it I would like Dashboard to appear without having to press the function button which is very annoying.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

How do you do this? When you hold F12 it is eject, but when I just tap it I would like Dashboard to appear without having to press the function button which is very annoying.

In keyboard preferences you can switch whether the upper row is F keys or the volume-brightness-eject keys by default. After you switch the preference, you'll have to press function to get to the special keys but F keys used by Expose and Dashboard work straight.

That is, unless there is a special problem with F12 I'm not aware of.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    No I knew that, thank you for the reply though.

I should have been more specific. I would still like to have the brightness and volume controls available to use without having to press the function button.

I don't know if it is possible. Is there any sort of program that would do this? Or could you make a keyboard short cut that would control the volume and brigtness (so it the you could have sound on the bottom where you would need to press function, however your shortcut button would also be sound so you wouldn't need to press function)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Or an easier way might be to disable the eject key and then make it so to eject you have to press function f12 and f12 for dashboard. I never eject that way so it wouldnt be a big deal