Please help - walkthrough burning DVD/CD in OSX

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay - I searched the forums, and decided none really answered what I needed - I'm sorry if I missed something, but some of the titles were rather ambiguous, and I dont have the time to go through 50 of them - besides this case is somehwat uniqe in a few minor ways.

Beggining of this year, Film and TV department at my school brought four new iMac G5's, to supplement eight pe-existing iMac G4s. The machines are loaded up with Final Cut Express HD, and all the standard applications. I am a student at this school, and I know a fair bit - not much, or I wouldn't be asking for help would I? about computers. I follow Apple, as I admire the company, but have had little hands on experience. When I saw the new iMac G5's, and the Film&TV teacher hastling over removable disk drives and everything, I pointed out that the G5s have some type of burner across the range. She had, until that point been unaware of this, as the techies just kind of plug them in, restrict the things they dont want 16 year old boys playing around with and leave.

As I said, I have little hands on experience with Macs, but I brought in a blank CD, and tried to figure out the burning process - which to my surprise was remarkably simple for me using an unfamiliar OS - kudos to apple. I simply did the whole finer drag and drop thing than said Eject and Burn.

However, I didn't go right through with the process - No files needed to be transfered at the time, and I didnt want to waste a disk.

However, as the teacher has no way of accessing the system information, one of the things the techies blocked, I dont know what particular model it is and whether it supports a DVD burner, in addition to the CD one. When the teacher goes to burn a DVD, doing the whole finder thing outlined above - It says burning DVD then stops, says its the incorrect format or something (not sure here, relying on second hand information), and ejects a blank disk.

Would someone please be kind enough to give me a walkthrough of the CD/DVD burning process (Step one: insert disk or whatever), tell me whether there is a model number or something somewhere to allow me to idientify the machines, and also tell me why it might go through with the whole Burning DVD.... process if it doesn't have a DVD burner?

Sory for the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I think the iMac G5s originally supported DVD+R or -R so that may be the problem. If you want more help post the specs of the machines - click the apple on the top left and then about this mac.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I think the iMac G5s originally supported DVD+R or -R so that may be the problem. If you want more help post the specs of the machines - click the apple on the top left and then about this mac.

As i said - techies locked a lot of the stuff, and that was one of the things that they locked. I thought the burner was multi format.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Apple Menu > About this mac > then click "more info..." ...

on the left will be a mune .... select Hardware > ATA

This will show all the ATA devices connected to the Mac ...

or, select Hardware > Disc Burning ...

This will show all the different formats of CD's and DVD's that the machine can use.

are you SURE the teacher had a blank DVD in the machine??? ... it almost sounds it was either the wrong type of media or perhaps even a CD instead of a DVD ... teachers often know even less than the students when it comes to new technology