OLED coming along

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't follow this stuff to closely, but the last time I read about OLED screens folks were talking about cell phone screen sizes. So I was surprised to read about prototypes being shown at 40 inches (for TV).

From: http://news.com.com/New+Samsung+pane...2842&subj=news

"The Korean electronics giant is expected next week to show off a prototype 40-inch panel made from a single-sheet Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED). OLED panels consume less power than traditional flat panels because, among other reasons, they don't require a backlight. OLED displays also offer higher resolution than liquid crystal displays (LCDs)...

This latest prototype sports a 1,280-by-800-pixel resolution and a maximum screen brightness of 600 nits (A NIT is a measurement of light in candelas per meter square). The black-and-white contrast ratio is 5,000:1. The panel measures 2.2 centimeters thick..."

I wonder if the durability has been improved. I beleive the blue light has been a problem in the past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I shudder to think about what a 40" OLED screen would cost.

Even if the technology never makes it to 17" and above monitors in number I'd love to see more portable devices going OLED for battery life and size savings.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kiwi-in-dckiwi-in-dc Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

The big news here is not really the 40" size - it's the fact that it was built on an amorphous silicon substrate instead of the polysilicon that the earlier OLEDs were.

a-Si is much, much less expensive to manufacture - same sort of cost as current LCD displays.

All I need now is for them to do a 1920x1080 40" OLED and I'll be one happy camper.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Wow that's great news Kiwi.

Maybe we'll start to see some movement on OLED now. I'd like to compare a larger panel with the standard backlit LCD to see if OLED does indeed have better blacks.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Perhaps the next generation of (G5) Powerbooks will be OLED based.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Here it is, the 40" OLED TV, 1280x800 resolution.

Press Release
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Do you know if they fixed managed to extend the life of the blue channel?

I heard that the major stumbling block right now is that the blue wouldn't

last as long as the red or green.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Even if the technology never makes it to 17" and above monitors in number I'd love to see more portable devices going OLED for battery life and size savings.

It's going to be some time until OLED has the advantage as far as color calibration and etc. I'll also say that the whole low-power characteristic of OLED is mostly myth. It is true that the CCFL backlight on LCDs is the large power consumer, but this doesn't matter that much, since 95% of portable LCDs (where power really matters) use LED backlights. A monochrome FSTN LCD with no backlight draws very, very little power. A CSTN doesn't draw much more.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    is a great news: like to see a new line of cinema display oled at 300 ppi... that will make a big difference