Apple isn't too far behind the rest of the society

neoneo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

MacCentral - A former Apple Computer employee has filed a lawsuit charging the company with discrimination among other charges. The employee, Shaune Patterson, worked as a human resources compensation consultant. Lawyers for Patterson say this may be one of the largest discrimination lawsuits filed against Apple by a Lesbian.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss...formeremployee

Looks like Apple is not as much of a crazy Leftist company as you guys like to think....

-Neø 8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    All men and women are created equal in America, and their employers shouldn't hire or fire them based on anything that they are free to do. Apple's no exception.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

Looks like Apple is not as much of a crazy Leftist company as you guys like to think....

-Neø 8)

By "you guys," I'm assuming you mean you
  • Reply 3 of 21
    thronkathronka Posts: 5member
    Hey Neø!

I didn't realize apple was being sued in the first place.

This should be a formitable opponent because with allegations like this that the woman is claiming can be VERY serious. I think apple should be in shame for such things, if true.

Although I don't support homosexuality, I am not gonna let it change this thread. Companies should base employees off of performance of work they do in the workplace and not their sex lives let alone what sex they like (meaning homosexual).

I am going to continue to watch this. I really want to see the outcome.

-Andy
  • Reply 4 of 21
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThRoNkA

Although I don't support homosexuality, I am not gonna let it change this thread. Companies should base employees off of performance of work they do in the workplace and not their sex lives let alone what sex they like (meaning homosexual).

Just so you know, saying this shows you do "support homosexuality," at least people's right to be what they are.

On topic, say it ain't so!
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Just so you know, saying this shows you do "support homosexuality," at least people's right to be what they are.

No I don't support it, I just support people being who they are (as you stated). Its a choice. I am saying people need jobs (because jobs mean money) and should be based on how well they make the business work and not something someone cant change. If something isnt working right for a certain someone at a position, they need to talk to the person directly and be frank but not towards their sex life.

But thats another topic not to be discuessed here (per the rules I have read). I hope something esp about sexual descrimiation at apple gets lots of news. I know it sounds a little harsh but IF the allegations are true then the company deserves it.

Sorry if I am being a bit harsh, but I am new here so meh.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    But saying that you think that people should be free to have that "choice" means that you support that the choice exists and thus support someone who makes that choice...

Neo is a troll. Do not feed "her". IIRC she is about as anti-gay as they come...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    If you guys are so into free choice, why don't you support free choice for Apple? They should have the choice to descriminate or not, since she is giving them a legitimate reason to...

Well, i mean i'm not totally against the free choice thing either, but in my opinion she (and others like her) should at least avoid showing off their sexual orientation, since it offends some people, including her ex-boss...i personally would not enjoy sharing an office cubicle with her either, and as a result that would hurt my productivity at the workplace.

I agree that commenting on her weight and race was totally unacceptable, and i think that Apple should've found another reason to remove her from the work force, or at least transfer her to where she won't cause any problems, after explaining to her how to avoid being a nuisance for her co-workers

-Neø
  • Reply 8 of 21
    yup. recalled correctly.

Neo, have you ever asked your mom if she ever, you know, experimented?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Neø is gay? Well I just KNEW it...

Why oh why is it so important if people are born gay or its a matter of choice? Its so politicized in US that I really doubt any real independent scientific approach to that question would survive one day.

I actually think the liberal side is doing itself a disservice. The discussion should be "Is it anyone else's matter if he or she is gay?" Why someone is gay should be the last question to ask because it should not influence their social position. Its a pseudo discussion, its a quasi scientific debate taking the place of the real social debate.

What would the liberal crowd do the day scientists said "Sorry no. We have looked forward and backwards on the human genome and we simple just can´t find the gay gene"? "Ooops. The base of our argument suddenly disappeared. No what we REALLY meant was that it doesn´t matter if..." Toooo late...

I have the position that its mostly social and every time I defend my position it always ends up with "Well. When you say its social do you mean its a choice or not?" (of which it is neither) Its like the debate can´t get out of the political derived binary frame.

Its almost like the Bell Curve discussion. I remember clearly how the argument went. It was baloney science, they had made this and that mistake aso. People bought the linkage that if you are a slow learner it is stupid to use any resources on your education. They may have been very wrong in their science but the real problem was in their conclusions. Science can give you some facts but how you use those facts politically is not part of the facts. If parts of the population really had more difficulties to learn than others then from a true liberal argument, that puts the individual at the center, more energy should be used to ensure they had the resources to decide their own destiny, giving a level playing field at the end of the school, not to restrict resources for that group.

I see this as at least as great problem for gaining knowledge as the religious influence on science and education and unfortunately "my side" is at least as much to blame as the other side...
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I highly doubt Neø is homosexual. If someone were homosexual (from my experience in dealing with people) they would be very excited about something very feminine. In this case Neø is not gay.

This isnt an arguement of who is gay or who isnt gay. The point is regardless of how people choose to live their lives, we cannot chose for them or berate them for it.

Quote:

Neo, have you ever asked your mom if she ever, you know, experimented?

Obviously we have some growing up to do age wise and politically. That statement was uncalled for.

Quote:

Neo is a troll. Do not feed "her".

You know just be saying not to, the kid will put his hand out anyway
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Neo is a self claimed 14? year old female....
  • Reply 12 of 21
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Apple as a company is probably pretty open minded.

Its a BIG company. There are BOUND to be elements within it that do not have the same views as others.

While unfortunately women get paid less than men in general (why, I dont understand), there is also the very fundamental difference in that some people know how to negotiate their salaries better than others.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThRoNkA

If someone were homosexual (from my experience in dealing with people) they would be very excited about something very feminine.

Wow, always great to see some uninformed views! Apparently you don't know too many gay people one, and are not familiar with the concept of the closeted self-loather.

Case in point:
  • Reply 14 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Why are you all debating Neø?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Im not debating Neø, im debating the fact some people are ill-informed about why choices of life should not be extended to the work place.

Quote:

Wow, always great to see some uninformed views!

It varies from geographic location. Take TX for example: The gay people I know at a particular workplace are very feminine in their voice and views. I am not sure what it is geographical around the US but this is what I see.

Quote:

Neo is a self claimed 14? year old female....

Its not in his/her profile. I assume you talk to Neo on a regular basis? Just curious.

I feel its my fault that this thread took a turn for the desert. I feel that I need to appologize to you guys/gals. I wanted to have a civilized conversation and the views of everyone here. I appologize.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    neo is a troll of old...

i tend to remember useless facts about people...

as far as effeminate (which is the word you are looking for) homosexuals go... well, I too am from the south and the few gay men I did know weren't effeminate. I honestly think your sample is skewed...

Regardless, to address Ander's point, it is clear that it shouldn't matter one way or another whether homosexuality is an innate or developed personality trait... but it may never be possible to tell one way or another simply due to the nature of neurological development in the human brain.. that being said, there may be a genetic component that eases development of that personality trait, but which is not required to develop the trait... so in essence I believe homosexuality is both nature and nurture as most behavioral traits probably are...

I don't believe we will find a gay gene.

I don't believe we will find significant differences in the brain structure or chemistry of homosexuals.

I don't believe we will find anything but the obvious -- the parts of the brain that respond to the sight of sexually attractive persons will respond differently to men and women depending on whether the observer is gay or straight.

That really leaves us nowhere and I think that is a perfectly reasonable place to be.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

I don't believe we will find a gay gene.

I don't believe we will find significant differences in the brain structure or chemistry of homosexuals.

I don't believe we will find anything but the obvious -- the parts of the brain that respond to the sight of sexually attractive persons will respond differently to men and women depending on whether the observer is gay or straight.

Finding the gay gene is hard. For instance, in rats, we've only been able to alter sexual orientation by injecting testerone into the womb. For fruit flies, otoh, the sexual orientation IS determined by genes. We're obviously much closer to rats, but that doesn't dispell the possibility of a gay gene in humans (although I doubt it's there).

The hypothalamus of an average gay man is smaller than that of a straight man... it's closer in size that of a woman. The hypothalamus controls, among other things, eating habits and sexual attraction. The finding was made by a scientist who was himself gay, so some people dismissed it. I'm sure it's been repeated since by others, but I don't know.

Of course it doesn't matter what causes it, there's nothing wrong with being gay so it's a non-issue. Just wanted to point out some of the research that's been going on (at least as of the last time I took psychology, circa 2002).

Quote:

Well, i mean i'm not totally against the free choice thing either, but in my opinion she (and others like her) should at least avoid showing off their sexual orientation, since it offends some people, including her ex-boss...i personally would not enjoy sharing an office cubicle with her either, and as a result that would hurt my productivity at the workplace.

How is this her problem? If your productivity falls because of your own prejudice, your ass would be terminated.

Hopefully though, if a manager did write that note, his/her ass'll be terminated.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. If someone's gay, it's no one's business but their own. Doesn't hurt anyone.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    "So who in human resource should I go to?"

"Shaune"

"Shaune who? I don´t know anyone in your department"

"Its the rather obese-sized black lesbian that I said hallo to at the christmas party last year. You know the one who made out with the receptionist"
  • Reply 19 of 21
    This thread is weak. And just for balance... Gay people rule.

Why drag up the topic in the first place and then say "I'm not going to change the topic?".

You don't support Gay people? Then don't be Gay. Don't support Gay marriage? Then don't marry someone of the same sex.

I don't support idiots. But I won't fight to ban idiots from marrying. If I did... you'd get to enjoy seeing 60% or republicans and about 30% of democrats remain single.

Discrimination (of any kind) is wrong. People do it everywhere, all the time. Apple's not exempt. (and neither are we posters)

• Reply 20 of 21
    The argument was not about the gay population. It was how apple is basically (if the allegations are true) that the company should not have the right because they are a so-called "Equal opportunity employer".

Looks like the woman is taking the core out of the apple