? about 10.3.9 archive system

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i installed tiger last night and it all went beautifully. i used the archive and install method. if i decide after a few months to delete the old OS archived file (for HD space sake), do i need to do anthing except delete the old OS previous system folder? with the archive method, is any of the old OS left in the tiger OS itself? thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by boochydog

i installed tiger last night and it all went beautifully. i used the archive and install method. if i decide after a few months to delete the old OS archived file (for HD space sake), do i need to do anthing except delete the old OS previous system folder? with the archive method, is any of the old OS left in the tiger OS itself? thanks.

The Archive & Install method installs a completely new, fresh copy of OS X on your hard drive, then moves the previous system to a folder called Previous System and disables it so you can't boot from it. Then your accounts etc. are copied over to the new system (there are a few options of what to copy over when you install).

If you find something did not get transfered over during Archive & Install, then you will find it in your Previous System. Archive & Install doesn't copy over files from your previous system other than your user accounts as far as I know(it copies over prefs, settings, Mail, bookmarks etc.).

I generally wait at least a week or two before deleting the previous system, just in case. Then I throw it in the trash and empty it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    boochydogboochydog Posts: 13member
    good deal. thanks for the info.!