Keyboard Shortcut for Maximising A Window

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey there,

Is there a keyboard shortcut for maximising a window in Tiger, in much the same way that Cmd+M minimises a window?

Thanks in advance,

Nius.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nius

Hey there,

Is there a keyboard shortcut for maximising a window in Tiger, in much the same way that Cmd+M minimises a window?

Thanks in advance,

Nius.

The command is "Zoom", and you need to go to System Preferences-> Keyboard, choose All Applications, click the plus sign, type "Zoom" in the box, and then the keyboard shortcut that you want (I used command-option-M). Then restart the apps that you want to see the new command in.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    it doesn't make any sense to me ...

You have 6 windows in safari ....

Then you minimize them all one by one using cmd+m

How does keyboard shortcut helps you with "zooming" them back ?

How do you know which one is the one you want?

Unless it's an app with only one window, but then you start creating inconsistencies ...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    niusnius Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

The command is "Zoom", and you need to go to System Preferences-> Keyboard, choose All Applications, click the plus sign, type "Zoom" in the box, and then the keyboard shortcut that you want (I used command-option-M). Then restart the apps that you want to see the new command in.

Lundy,

Fantastic. Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. Where do you find these nuggets of information?

By the way, I believe that Cmd-Option-M actually already serves a purpose - to minimise all windows for a particular application. So instead I have gone for Ctrl-Cmd-M, just in case I do ever wish to minimise all windows for a particular application

Regards,

Nius
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

it doesn't make any sense to me ...

You have 6 windows in safari ....

Then you minimize them all one by one using cmd+m

How does keyboard shortcut helps you with "zooming" them back ?

How do you know which one is the one you want?

Unless it's an app with only one window, but then you start creating inconsistencies ...

Hey Piwozniak,

Thanks for getting back to me. However, I was only looking to maximise a window to fill the screen.

However, now you mention it, I am also looking to find out how to "tab" through minimised windows. (I know that it is possible to tab through open applications, simply with Cmd-Tab.) This is one of the few things that I miss from Windows.

Regards,

Nius.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    darshudarshu Posts: 6member
    There is no capability to "maximize" a window in OS X. This is quite often something people think they "need" when coming from Windows or Linux, but why do you _want_ the window to take up the full screen? The Zoom button lets you see as much as is useful (or if the developer implements it poorly, it just maximizes). Just think about it for a bit and see if you can come up with a good reason to actually "maximize".

As for tabbing through minimized windows, I could see that being potentially useful (I know no way of doing it), however the general paradigm in OS X is that you shouldn't be minimizing things all the time if you want to access them again quickly. I generally minimize things that I don't want for an extended period of time but need to keep. You might want to consider hiding the windows instead (Cmd-H or Hide fromt he application menu) or using F10's exposé short cut.

I believe these techniques are strictly more powerful, however they are different, so they take a bit of change of thought at first.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Hey Piwozniak,

Thanks for getting back to me. However, I was only looking to maximise a window to fill the screen.

However, now you mention it, I am also looking to find out how to "tab" through minimised windows. (I know that it is possible to tab through open applications, simply with Cmd-Tab.) This is one of the few things that I miss from Windows.

Regards,

Nius.

Witch.

It's command - tab for all open WINDOWS instead of Apps. It also has the ability to tab through minimized windows and a whole bunch of other shite.

--B
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darshu

There is no capability to "maximize" a window in OS X. This is quite often something people think they "need" when coming from Windows or Linux, but why do you _want_ the window to take up the full screen? The Zoom button lets you see as much as is useful (or if the developer implements it poorly, it just maximizes). Just think about it for a bit and see if you can come up with a good reason to actually "maximize".

Really! I know many people who, upon opening a quicktime file in Windows immediately hit the maximize button...and then wonder why it looks so pixely. It doesn't matter the native resolution of the original file. These people feel they HAVE to watch something full screen.

*shakes his head*

I, for one, do often watch QT files at "Double" size, but I know better than to go any higher than that unless I know it'll look okay.

But people need to be taught that browsing CNN.com at 1024 pixels wide isn't necessary.

[/rant]
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darshu

As for tabbing through minimized windows, I could see that being potentially useful (I know no way of doing it), however the general paradigm in OS X is that you shouldn't be minimizing things all the time if you want to access them again quickly. I generally minimize things that I don't want for an extended period of time but need to keep. You might want to consider hiding the windows instead (Cmd-H or Hide fromt he application menu) or using F10's exposé short cut.

I believe these techniques are strictly more powerful, however they are different, so they take a bit of change of thought at first.

I had figured one good reason to maximise a window is so that you don't have to see all the clutter behind it. That's the only reason really. OS X certainly does neatly expand a window minimalistically, however.

I had not been particularly familiar with hiding a window. Having messed around a little, it seems to have potential. Obviously, by hiding windows, it would remove the clutter behind a Zoom'ed window. However, cycling through various Safari windows, say, whether minimised or not, still poses a problem.

One way around the minimised window problem (a struggle to ignore given my previous 25 years of Windows experience ), is to change the keyboard shortcut that accesses the Dock from Ctrl-F3 to Cmd-Squiggly key (above the tab key). In this way, the motion of Alt-Tab'ing still exists, and typing Cmd-Squiggly simply pulls up the Dock, focussing on those minimised app's, offering the ability to arrow-key your way through. Bit of a kludge admittedly.

Good night one and all. Thanks, once again, for all the helpful advice.

Nius.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Witch.

It's command - tab for all open WINDOWS instead of Apps. It also has the ability to tab through minimized windows and a whole bunch of other shite.

--B

Bergz,

You are like Fermat - claiming you have a theorem, but the margin ain't big enough.

You mentioned that Cmd-Tab'ing can tab through minimized windows as well, along with other stuff. How can I do that, out of curiosity?

Regards,

Nius.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Bergz,

You are like Fermat - claiming you have a theorem, but the margin ain't big enough.

You mentioned that Cmd-Tab'ing can tab through minimized windows as well, along with other stuff. How can I do that, out of curiosity?

Regards,

Nius.

Look at the link at the top of my last post. Looks like this:

Witch.

It's a hyperlink that will take you to version tracker (macupdate is also good). It's freeware. It will provide the funcionality you're looking for. You know it's a hyperlink because the color isn't the same as normal text and it's underlined.

Just trying to pay you back for the iCal tip the other day .

--B
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Look at the link at the top of my last post. Looks like this:

Witch.

It's a hyperlink that will take you to version tracker (macupdate is also good). It's freeware. It will provide the funcionality you're looking for. You know it's a hyperlink because the color isn't the same as normal text and it's underlined.

Just trying to pay you back for the iCal tip the other day .

--B

Fantastic! Thanks.

I had noticed it, but immediately assumed that "Witch" had been some Apple-forum-related term of endearment.

And thanks for the returned favour.

What a lovely little community this is. And also very addictive.

To be up in five hours...

Nius.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Other ways of manipulating windows:

If you don't know it already, command + H is hide. And command + Option + H is hide others. Very useful if you don't like clutter.

Also, window dragon--a bad pun but a good application enhancer. It allows you to drag or resize a window without having to move the mouse to the corner (in case of resizing) or to the title bar (in case of moving). Very cool.

--B
  • Reply 13 of 15
    alt + zoom-button, maximizes the window to full screen.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

If you don't know it already, command + H is hide. And command + Option + H is hide others. Very useful if you don't like clutter.

I use this all the time. Some might say, why not just minimize. I don't want all the extra clutter on the Dock with the minimized icons. Hiding the window is great, because I do not have all that clutter as you mentioned.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

alt + zoom-button, maximizes the window to full screen.

sometimes