Excel on a Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm a recent convert from PC land. I have Excel installed on my Mac, but the one shortcut I used constantly on my PC was the F2 key, which allowed me to modify the active cell's value without overwriting it entirely. It essentially was like double-clicking in the cell, putting the cursor at the end of whatever string of characters it already contained. But you didn't have to move your hand from the keyboard to the mouse to do it.

Does anybody know how to do this in Excel, either with a preset keyboard shortcut or with something custom I can set up?

thanks!

Craig

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    The one that you want is Control+U. I don't want to sound like an asshole or anything, but next time consult the help file. I know that the help files can really be useless most of the time, but they usually at least have the keyboard shortcuts in them.

Note: I had to go through these steps to find you the shortcut b/c I didn't even know it myself.
    1. Open Excel

2. Click Help on menu bar

3. Click "Search Excel Help"

4. Search for "shortcuts"

5. Click on "keyboard shortcuts"

6. Click on "keys for editing data"

Here it is:CONTROL+U: Edit the active cell
    ESC: Cancel an entry in the cell or formula bar
    DELETE: Edit the active cell and then clear it, or delete the preceding character in the active cell as you edit the cell contents
    Command+V Paste text into the active cell
    RETURN Complete a cell entry
    CONTROL+SHIFT+RETURN Enter a formula as an array formula
    CONTROL+A Display the Formula Palette after you type a valid function name in a formula
    CONTROL+SHIFT+A Insert the argument names and parentheses for a function, after you type a valid function name in a formula
  • Reply 2 of 2
    thanks!