PowerBook Pentium M Centrino

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
G5's are obviously out of the question, but what does Apple intend to do with the Powerbooks and iBooks with a year till they presumably move to Pentium-M?

Another year of minor bumps? E600?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I figure we have a year to 18 months to buy the last PB with a PowerPC then that has to last another three or four years. By that time who knows what things will be like.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm guessing that there will be one more G4 based Powerbook upgrade.

Then by early next year Apple will announce a Yonah based Powerbook lineup with the top being a Dual Core and the bottom being a single core. I'd love to see the midrange be Dual Core as well but we'll see what the chip pricing is like before going there.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    nowayout11nowayout11 Posts: 326member
    It looks like the PBs are one of the first computers due for Intel chips. I haven't been paying attention... is the PB due for an update soon? But either way, I think they'll be first for the switch in a year.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    mynameismynameis Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

is the PB due for an update soon?

Not for a little while, it hasn't been that long since the slight speed bump, 2 finger scrolling trackpad, and shock-proof HDs were added.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynameis

Not for a little while, it hasn't been that long since the slight speed bump, 2 finger scrolling trackpad, and shock-proof HDs were added.

*pretends to be impressed with cruddy updates*

Actually, Updates is the wrong word. More like "extra crap to cover up the crappy speed"
  • Reply 6 of 18
    The 7448's should be ramping up fairly soon, which will hopefully put us in the 1.8?2.0 Ghz range, and then most likely an 8641 of some kind for spring 2006. I don't expect Intel PowerBooks until January 2007, at the earliest.

There is a good reason for consumer Intel changeover before the pro line; Apple first needs to demonstrate that they can produce fast, stable Intel machines, and software and hardware developers alike need the extra time to get their ducks in a row for professionals. (OS X 10.0?10.2 printer drivers anyone?)
  • Reply 7 of 18
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

The 7448's should be ramping up fairly soon, which will hopefully put us in the 1.8?2.0 Ghz range, and then most likely an 8641 of some kind for spring 2006. I don't expect Intel PowerBooks until January 2007, at the earliest.

There is a good reason for consumer Intel changeover before the pro line; Apple first needs to demonstrate that they can produce fast, stable Intel machines, and software and hardware developers alike need the extra time to get their ducks in a row for professionals. (OS X 10.0?10.2 printer drivers anyone?)

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree on this one. Intel is currently very strong in the mobile processor arena, so my bet would be that the Powerbooks are likely to be the first models to utilize Intel chips. I think that Apple will gauge the level of developer support/readiness in deciding the timing of the launch, but I will place a further bet that we'll see this happen at the beginning of 2006.

It's also worth noting that the mobile world will continue to give Apple the most control over their hardware designs - it's rather difficult for an enthusiast to build their own laptop from scratch. In addition, the Powerbook line is arguably the product category that is simply screaming for a massive update, this will be the opportunity for Apple to take the gloves off and blow away the PC side of market.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    a j steva j stev Posts: 79member
    I find somewhere in between Chagi and Chevalier the most likely option...7448s in 2-3 months and dual core Yonahs in January-Feb 2006.

What a difference 2 days makes...
  • Reply 9 of 18
    When? Sept, Jan 2006?

Specs? Maybe just look at whatever is coming up for Toshiba, Dell, Alienware, et al:

Maybe...Intel® Pentium® M 2.13 GHz 533 MHz FSB, 802.11 a/b/g/n, ATi Mobility Radeon x800 256MB PCIe x16, 100 GB 7200 rpm hard drive, Mac OS 10.4.5, InstantOn, 1600x1200 HD display, HD sound, USB2.0, FireWire 800, Blu-Ray DVD, new black magnesium enclosure, and the ubiquitous "Intel Inside" sticker.

Install Windows on it for gaming and watching DVD's.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    ....it finally leaves the Apple laptops with an upgrade path into the future, IBM seems to have had nothing for the laptops. If Apple hasd stayed with IBM it would have seriousely hurt future sales.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I know I want the 12" version...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I agree with the sentiment that we'll see Intel in Apple Pro portables first (I'm not calling them PowerBooks yet). I think we'll see them at MWSF, in January, 2006.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Intel® Pentium® M Dual Core Faster than 2.13 GHz 533 MHz FSB, 802.11 a/b/g/n, ATi Mobility Radeon x800 256MB PCIe x16, 100 GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive, Mac OS 10.4.5, InstantOn, 1600x1200 HD display, HD sound, USB2.0, FireWire 800, Blu-Ray DVD, Dual link DVI & SVideo, optical sound in & out

Modded your words to a nicer spec Dual Core is a must !
  • Reply 14 of 18
    unixpoetunixpoet Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I agree with the sentiment that we'll see Intel in Apple Pro portables first (I'm not calling them PowerBooks yet). I think we'll see them at MWSF, in January, 2006.

I think so too - laptops are a great opportunity and where the action is at.

BTW, I love your sig
  • Reply 15 of 18
    solerosolero Posts: 30member
    DHagan4755 - You should change your signature
  • Reply 16 of 18
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Threads merged... folks, please don't be so lazy. Read other relevant threads and post there before starting redundant new threads. Thanks so much...
  • Reply 17 of 18
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I would love to see Pentium -M in the Powerbook, at MWSF. Apple could almost get away, with not updating the Powerbooks before then. After all, they go quite a few months sometimes, but that would be a year, and I don't think they'll wait that long.

If they can go to Pentium-M in January, I think we would see updated PPC Powerbooks in Paris. If the Pentium-M Powerbook won't be ready until next June, I think we'll see the PowerPC revision in the fall.

Finally, I'm not sure I want them to leave the aluminium enclosure. Sure, I would like to see some kind of update to the design, but I still like the aluminium look. I guess change is sometimes needed though, in order to move forward. However, I'd be happy with the aluminium enclosure, but take the size down somewhat.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    See my thread about Yonah.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hp?threadid=54

Here's what I say

Quote:

Coming in the first quarter of 2006. These are essentially dual-core versions of the Pentium-M found in Centrino laptops.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23774

Dual core Yonah's with 2MB on-die L2 cache (~25 watts)

x50 (2.16 GHz) : $636

x40 (2.00 GHz) : $420

x30 (1.83 GHz) : $295

x20 (1.66 Ghz) : $240

Low voltage dual core (also 2MB L2 cache) versions (~15 Watts!)

x48 (1.66 GHz) : $315

x38 (1.50 GHz) : $285

Ultra-low voltage versions, single core (3-10 watts) - second quarter of 2006

So what will Apple build with Yonah? I can easily see the x20 going into the Mac Mini. Apple could also use the low-voltage Yonah's for some nice dual-core iBooks with 10 hour battery life. And of course, the Powerbook will probably end up with the x50.

But what about the tablet Mac or a Newton-sized mac ultraportable? The low voltage and ultra-low voltage version can easily accomodate those--will Apple build them?