Intel Pandora next Mac Mini? (Mac Mini Update Thread)

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I'll be waiting for the fire sale. Come January, all Macs will be half price. As long as you never want to upgrade your software, you'll be ok buying a PPC Mac.

That's just plain stupid.

Do you really think Apple and developers are going to stop upgrading software when 80% to 90% of the installed base will still be using PowerPC Macs in 2007?

Do you really think Apple and developers are going to stop upgrading software when all they have to do is check off PowerPC and Intel PC in a dialog box when compiling?
  • Reply 82 of 91
    bobbagumbobbagum Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

No. Apple doesn't need other companies to design their machines for them.

Not designed but engineered, the Pandora guts could concievably be the next mini
  • Reply 83 of 91
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bobbagum

Not designed but engineered, the Pandora guts could concievably be the next mini

In this context, what's the difference between "design" and "engineering"? Apple did both with the mini, they'll do it again with the Intel-based successor.

The only thing Pandora MAY have shown is what processor & chipset Apple may use, but it'll be a year old by the time Apple replaces the PPC-based mini... So I kinda doubt it.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Apple is going to have to do alot of hand holding and explaining if they want to continue selling computers until 2006.

And why did he say that all computers would have to wait until 2007 to switch to Intel?

Personally, I feel that if he knew he was going to do this, he should have had Intel Inside computers ready in a couple months, not a year
  • Reply 85 of 91
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Apple is going to have to do alot of hand holding and explaining if they want to continue selling computers until 2006.

And why did he say that all computers would have to wait until 2007 to switch to Intel?

Personally, I feel that if he knew he was going to do this, he should have had Intel Inside computers ready in a couple months, not a year

On the keynote video I thought Steve seemed nervous and a bit unprepared. I wonder if this wasn't a switch by choice. Maybe IBM have admitted the G5 has no future?
  • Reply 86 of 91
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

That's just plain stupid.

Do you really think Apple and developers are going to stop upgrading software when 80% to 90% of the installed base will still be using PowerPC Macs in 2007?

Perhaps my statement was a bit rash. I do think Apple is going to have a lot more trouble selling Macs between now and the switch. Personally, I think their decision to switch and the timing of it is all wrong. If PPC emulation on new Intel Macs is going to be as good as Apple thinks it is, two or three months would have been plenty of time to pre-announce.
  • Reply 87 of 91
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If you watched the keynotre you'll see that Apples XCode dual binary strategy has it so developers are compiling both PPC, and x86 versions to go on one disk. The Ying, and the Yang of Apples plan.

• Reply 88 of 91
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Mac Mini Update Threads have been merged....
  • Reply 89 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

Mac Mini Update Threads have been merged....

I wondered what was up with the thread name
  • Reply 90 of 91
    tommyotommyo Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Point taken.

Right now, i think I may just wait until Apple gets the Intel Inside underway. I would feel funny buying a Mac now with the PowerPC inside when i know they are dumping that architecture.

What's funny is that I'm just joining the ranks of Mac owners, and have no problems buying a PPC-based machine. I may not go for a dual-G5 now, but I'm not going to wait another year or two before dumping my Windows boxes either. The Mac mini as it currently exists would make a great second machine for me, though there are several used 1.8Ghz single-processor Power Mac G5s available for decent prices as well (Presumably I could use any SATA drives that I add in whatever Intel-based box comes down the pike (I figure that's one of the few things that would be usable as I fully expect DDR2 and PCI Express on higher-end boxes))
  • Reply 91 of 91
    The Mac Mini would really be the only Mac that makes sense to buy right now since its inexpensive. Keep it for a few years until all the bugs are worked out of the MacTel machines, then dump it and buy another one.

I still will probably just keep my trusty ole G3 iMac though.

I could be tempted though if Apple updates the Mini and increases the RAM to 512Mb. Right now all I can say is that we're in the drivers seat now, Jobs, and you better please us if you want to see computer sales until 2006.