Airtunes/Wireless phone issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay, so I've got a 2.4 Gigahertz wireless phone that when I use cuts out my iTunes getting to my speakers through AirTunes. Sometimes the music will come back in during the middle of phone use, sometimes it won't at all until I physically press play again, and sometimes it comes back on its own after I hang up. Is this just a physical space issue maybe? Where I need to separate the laptop farther from the phone? Words of advice appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

Okay, so I've got a 2.4 Gigahertz wireless phone that when I use cuts out my iTunes getting to my speakers through AirTunes. Sometimes the music will come back in during the middle of phone use, sometimes it won't at all until I physically press play again, and sometimes it comes back on its own after I hang up. Is this just a physical space issue maybe? Where I need to separate the laptop farther from the phone? Words of advice appreciated.

Did you try changing the channel on your phone?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    You can also change the channel of the airport express. Open up Airport admin utility, double click your base station and the channel option is near the bottom of the window. Change it from auto to a number.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    I have gone in and tried the admin utility and will see how it works. I can't change the channel on the phone because it's an auto-selecting function with this phone. It monitors 'noise' on the line and automatically changes to the clearest channel.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    nirradnirrad Posts: 19member
    Don't make yourself crazy over this. There are a hundred different little settings things you can do, from changing the channel to using interference robustness to downloading different application managers that will allow you to pinpoint the disturbance. You can move the stuff around, do hard resets, etc. And all this will drive you crazy. I've been there.

The bottom line is this: 2.4 gig cordless phones wreck havoc on wireless networks. Some more than others. Why, I can't say. But I know in my home office, I simply hate to get rid of the 2.4 gig phones and upgrade to 5.8 gig phones. But beware, some of the 5.8 gig phones use 2.4 gig technology and will also be somewhat, though less, problematic. I'm using Uniden, for example, and occassionally I'll watch my network drop off while on that phone. If I were doing it again, I'd spring for the panasonic 5.8's, as I believe they make a much more solid phone and don't incorporate the 2.4 technology.

Don't get me wrong, all the advice here is solid but I've been through the threads on mac discussion boards, hundreds of posts long, all with the same problems. If want your wireless network you gotta rethink your phone situation.

Best of luck.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I meant to say that I had to get rid of the 2.4 gig phones (hated it, but had to do it)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    smhub1smhub1 Posts: 21member
    I too have a Panasonic cordless phone operating at 2.4GHz which, unfortunately, has to be located next to my Airport Extreme BS. And, like nirrad, I've also tried various fixes to overcome the occasional interruptions to my wireless network.

The short answer is there is no cheap and easy solution. Using Interface Robustness does help but also creates some interesting noises when initially using the phone. And it doesn't guarantee your wireless network will remain operative - I find that it goes down 50% of the time when the phone is use.

Should this problem be frustrating enough, I would suggest nirrad's decision to change phones is perhaps the best course of action.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Both my phone and my microwave mess mine up. I've taken to not using either.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    If you move the phone's base station away from the Airport Express that may help. Even if they are on different channels the very strong signal from the nearby base station may prevent the AE from getting any signal.

Another option is to downgrade the phone. I bought a 900MHz cordless phone just to avoid this problem. It was something like $15 at Fry's.

I just checked pricegrabber.com and there are several 900MHz cordless phones for under $20.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Neutrino is right. The 900mhz is probably the best option. It won't mess with your network at all. The problem is with the 900's is that there isn't much in terms of options left out there. We needed phones with caller ID and call waiting ID and didn't want to buy separate units. However, depending on your needs, the 900 could be a very good option as well.

As far as moving the AE base station away from the phone base station: as I mentioned in my first post, there are lots of these types of "corrective fixes". The moving of the base stations is one of the first things that level one apple tech support will suggest to you. I did not find it very helpful. Then again, the only thing I did find helpful was replacing the 2.4 gig phones.

Good luck.