New Tiger print ad - taking the gloves off?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There's a new double-page print ad for OS X in the June 20th edition of Newsweek (the inside front cover position) that has a much more aggressive tone toward Windows. It's in black & white: the left page is simply the "X" logo from Tiger, the right page contains six quotes from reviewers, leading with a Walter Mossberg Wall Street Journal quote: "It leaves Windows XP in the dust."

Other quotes (from other reviewers):

"It's the most elegant, useful and powerful operating system I've ever used in three decades of computer ownership. It runs circles around Windows."

"Want to see what the future of personal computing looks like? Don't wait for Microsoft to show you...."

Definitely a different stance than we've seen from Apple recently.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Any links to the ad?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yea, we got the first taste of this, what was it a year ago? when Tiger was first announced. Those giant banners proclaiming stuff like. "redmond, start your photocopiers" and "redmond, we have a problem"

Apple can't really compete with windows simply because the numbers are so against them. However, if the intel deal yields cheaper macs and/or a mac that can dual boot windows and OS X, then apple will stand to take a decent chunk of the market back, and eventually, compete with windows.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Uh thank you and forgive my laziness.

I really love the last one.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    To bad the ad doesn't mention what Spotlight actually is, leaving the reader confused.

Am I the only one who thinks that if Apple ran an ad campaign like this for a freely-installable x86 Mac OS X, they'd get 80% marketshare by 2008?