Games on the Intel Macs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

i dunno much about game developement... but if they made a game that was compatible, that would be great, but it would defeat my purpose... b/c i have pc games, and i'd rather use those games i have so i dont have to rebuy the games, try to save a couple hundred $ worth of games...

Well, you could keep your PC to game on. Or if you purchase an Intel Mac then you could load Windows on it also and just boot to Windows when you want to play your games.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Well, you could keep your PC to game on. Or if you purchase an Intel Mac then you could load Windows on it also and just boot to Windows when you want to play your games.

does this mean that the intel mac will be able to run os x and also windows and you can boot up either one depending on what you wanted to do????
  • Reply 23 of 34
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    From Schiller's statements I gather so.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jumpyspider

I wonder how much more financially viable it would be now to port the likes of Halflife 2- or Halflife 3 for that matter, now that there's one less stumbling block. I know, DirectX support has a wee part to play in all this.

DirectX is a huge stumbling block. I doubt Valve will port HL2 to Mac-on-Intel, because they'd have to rewrite all their DX code to use OpenGL instead.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:

does this mean that the intel mac will be able to run os x and also windows and you can boot up either one depending on what you wanted to do????

It's possible, but I doubt it will be easy at first. For one thing, we'll have to see what boot system Apple uses (BIOS, EFI or something else), and wait for Windows to support that. Even beyond that, there may be custom chips on Apple's motherboard that would require Windows drivers to be written.

And it's still unsupported hardware, so Apple won't be able to help you set it up, and most software companies will probably laugh when you ask them why their program is crashing.

I still think our best bet will be Virtual PC. Microsoft stands to make a tidy profit by porting VPC to Mac-on-Intel. Especially since this should allow them to access the 3D graphics hardware in the machine, allow us to finally play games in VPC on our Macs.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

It's possible, but I doubt it will be easy at first. For one thing, we'll have to see what boot system Apple uses (BIOS, EFI or something else), and wait for Windows to support that. Even beyond that, there may be custom chips on Apple's motherboard that would require Windows drivers to be written.

And it's still unsupported hardware, so Apple won't be able to help you set it up, and most software companies will probably laugh when you ask them why their program is crashing.

I still think our best bet will be Virtual PC. Microsoft stands to make a tidy profit by porting VPC to Mac-on-Intel. Especially since this should allow them to access the 3D graphics hardware in the machine, allow us to finally play games in VPC on our Macs.

neat, thanks.. well.. we'll see what happens... maybe ill invest in a flat pannel screen, that way i can sit my pc computer next to my iMac and then i dont have to leave the room to go from both computers...
  • Reply 27 of 34
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jumpyspider

DirectX support

I read on /. that DirectX is no more.

Perhaps I read that wrong, but who knows.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nak

I read on /. that DirectX is no more.

Perhaps I read that wrong, but who knows.

You read wrong. They're still using the exact same code, it's just going to get a different name than "DirectX 10" when it comes out. Which doesn't make it any easier to port code to the Mac.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Which doesn't make it any easier to port code to the Mac.

Meh.\ I think all apps should be like the people at Blizzard make games, cross platform. That would be nice. But I'm more hardware based than software when it comes to Windows, so I'm sure those who write code will have mouthfulls to say about that procedure.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I can't really see the day developers will finally write portable code (but I thank Blizzard for their efforts...you rock Bliz...well, if you could finally fix the WoW bugs)...but it would be nice if Apple could license Fairplay in exchange for DirectX.

MS could have a piece of the music market...Apple could have a piece of the game market. Best of both worlds, IMO.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    yup yup it'd be nice if it did mac having a piece of gaming market... then i wouldnt need my pc anymore
  • Reply 32 of 34
    I like what Epic did with UT2004. Releasing the games to both platforms at the same time.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:

yup yup it'd be nice if it did mac having a piece of gaming market... then i wouldnt need my pc anymore

if that happens i'll throw my pc out
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by wingk1314

if that happens i'll throw my pc out

so would i.. well.. i'd prolly try to sell it firt.. b/c w/ that monitor and box.. its still pretty good.. prolly get 4-500$ for the whole set up.... but yea... that'd be nice if the intel macs could do that