Does the new iMac have 5 or 3 USB?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does the new iMac have 5 usb ports or 3? One the iMac site it shows 3 ports, but I could have sworn Steve said 5 USB, and the iMac FAQ has 5 listed too. So is it 5 or 3?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    You're right, Steve did say 5. He was probably talking about the 3 on the iMac and 2 on the keyboard. The iMac alone has only 3.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>You're right, Steve did say 5. He was probably talking about the 3 on the iMac and 2 on the keyboard.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Exactly right. I first thought FIVE USB ports? YEAH! Makes sense, what with all these "digital devices" being mostly USB based.

Two on the old iMac always sucked because one HAD to be for a keyboard, leaving you one open. If you had an inkjet, Zip Drive, digital camera, etc., you IMMEDIATELY were forced to go drop another $25-50 on a USB hub, OR do what I did and switch cables out as you need them...which gets old REALLY quick.

The new iMac leaves two open for other things, which is really nice!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    ahh, I feel really stupid
  • Reply 5 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>ahh, I feel really stupid </strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't worry about it. A lot of people were wondering the same thing.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    [quote]He was probably talking about the 3 on the iMac and 2 on the keyboard.<hr></blockquote>Actually, this ends up being only 4 ports. You still have to plug the keyboard into the iMac so one port will have to be taken up.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    don't worry. i did the same thing.

but actually, there are 3 ports on the imac but there are only 2 usb channels (?) so two of the ports share bandwidth
  • Reply 8 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by kaboom:

<strong>Actually, this ends up being only 4 ports. You still have to plug the keyboard into the iMac so one port will have to be taken up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well after you plug the keyboard into the imac and mouse into the keyboard then yeah, but there's still physically 5 USB ports.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by kaboom:

<strong>Actually, this ends up being only 4 ports. You still have to plug the keyboard into the iMac so one port will have to be taken up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, Scott H caught that it is 3 by the time you connect the keyboard and mouse.

BTW is it documented which port is on a controller by itself?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    But still, 5 total ports, giving you 3 left open after the keyboard's plugged into the iMac and the mouse is plugged into the keyboard.... is better than 4 total ports leaving 2, isn't it?

Besides, don't we all have a USB hub by now?