New iMac vs. The Cube

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, some people have been comparing the Cube to the iMac. I would like to see the simmilarites in design, specs, ect. So my comparison of the New iMac vs. The Cube:

Cube's total volume is 512 inches cubed.

iMac's total volume is about 303 inches cubed.

Both have G4's

Both have 60 Gigabyte HD's Max (Apple config.)

Cube Weight: 28.7 iMac Weight: 21.3

Cube: External Powerbrick

iMac: Built in Power

Feel free to add.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tltl Posts: 33member
    iMac == better vid card (which i assume runs hotter, would i be correct?)

edit - well okay, its not a similarity; i was making that point to say a hotter card, faster proc, and power brick in an enclosure 40% smaller

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: tl ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    The Cube is not all-in-one with all the good and bad that implies. I wanted the big screen last year and did not think I needed the El Capitain case size in my life--then the Cube came out and I was hooked.

On Use: My home Cube is on a Cinema display and with the Harmon/Kardon sound system workas as my DVD player and stereo. (I know it is not a great financial investment, but it saves a ton of space and thanks to iPod and iTunes makes life very easy. I have not yet updated to OS X.1 since I have a HP OfficeJet G55 scanner/printer attached and there is no X driver. I am playing with 9.2 with some success.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I think slot-loading is more elegant than plastic tray flap dropping.

BUT, perhaps odd-shaped, multi-sized discs will work in the tray
  • Reply 4 of 13
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    That shell should be all metal, so the computer has an enrmous radiating area. Instead, it's plastic and requires airflow to cool i 0 the fan/ MMMMmmmm. ToastyMac/
  • Reply 5 of 13
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cubit:

<strong> I have not yet updated to OS X.1 since I have a HP OfficeJet G55 scanner/printer attached and there is no X driver.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What???

I just checked HP homepage yesterday, and the driver was there. The reason is that I'm considering buying the G55. (Is it any good?)

Sorry I know it's off topic
  • Reply 6 of 13
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I like the new drive. I could not stand the slot-loading drives.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    read <a href="http://www.cube-zone.com"; target="_blank">http://www.cube-zone.com</a>;

for a comparison
  • Reply 8 of 13

That shell should be all metal, so the computer has an enrmous radiating area. Instead, it's plastic and requires airflow to cool i 0 the fan/ MMMMmmmm. ToastyMac/

pretty sure there is a metal shell...then a white plastic shell over the metal shell....g
  • Reply 9 of 13
    The point, G, is that the plastic layer traps in heat. Without it (perhaps with all alluminum) the case its self acts as a kind of heat sink for te innards of the machine. I think that aluminum would look really cool too.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    [quote] <hr></blockquote>quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Cubit:

I have not yet updated to OS X.1 since I have a HP OfficeJet G55 scanner/printer attached and there is no X driver.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What???

I just checked HP homepage yesterday, and the driver was there. The reason is that I'm considering buying the G55. (Is it any good?)

Sorry I know it's off topic [quote] <hr></blockquote>

Sorry :-) I see they updated 01-04-02. I have not installed it yet. Apologies to all for off topic side conversation, but I love the G55 and the Cube. I have had no trouble with any over- heating problem, but I have been suffering a few odd Cinema/Cube problems since pushing my memory up to 1.5 GB.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by tl:

<strong>iMac == better vid card (which i assume runs hotter, would i be correct?)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hm, wasn't there a BTO option to put a Radeon 32MB DDR into the Cube? If so, I don't think the GF2MX is really a better vid card.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 12 of 13
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Oh and the iMac has a round and blue motherboard.