How good is the GeForce2?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How good is the GeForce2 32Mb graphics card? Is this generally accepted as a decent card? I play Quake on occasion but don't consider myself a hardcore gamer. I just want to know what others think about this. Can the card be upgraded in the new iMac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Turkey Boy:

<strong>How good is the GeForce2 32Mb graphics card? Is this generally accepted as a decent card? I play Quake on occasion but don't consider myself a hardcore gamer. I just want to know what others think about this. Can the card be upgraded in the new iMac?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The card can't be upgraded, so it will have to be good enough. It is actually a GeForce2 MX, which is a scaled down version of the regular GeForce 2. It's considered a fairly low end card nowadays. With that said, my home PC has an old GeForce256 card with 32MB SDR RAM, and it works fine for me, even in 3D games. It's no GeForce 3 obviously, but I have yet to find a game that's not playable on it. I'd say its a decent but not stellar choice for the iMac line.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: PCMan ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Keep in mind that the new iMac uses a "NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics processor with AGP 2X support..." and

32MB of dedicated Double Data Rate (DDR) video memory.

Let me repeat "322MB of dedicated Double Data Rate (DDR) video memory"! That is better than the what is standard on the powermac G4.

This is being overlooked by most people. This iMac is going to rock!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    The GeForce 2 is a tad better than the GeForce 256 and a bit slower than the GeForce 3.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    The 32MB DDR GeForce 2mx card in the new iMac is a great 3D gaming card. Yes, yes, it's not the legendary GeForce 3, but a GeForce 3 still costs almost $300!

It will run the overwhelming majority of 3D games very well. As a casual gamer, you'll have no complaints.

It is shit-load better than the 3D card in the older iMac that's for damn sure.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    My impression was that the GeForce2 was a substantial jump up from the original Geforce, and the GeForce3 was only an incremental step up from GeForce2 (speaking of polygon processing rates, specifically; fill rates to a lesser extent). The more notable difference is that the GeForce3 included some additional hardware features/pixel shaders/vertex shaders/special antialiasing to allow certain special effects to become more feasible in a videogame.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    iMac may see an improvement shortly (maybe as soon as rev B. nVidia is readying a not quite Geforce 3 embedded desktop chipset. Think Geforce 3MX. And supposedly it is design to be a very cost effective (yet still higher performing) solution...

The next 12 months should be very interesting for the mac world.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ITs not a GF2, its a GF2MX.

Youll notice in the following <a href="http://www4.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q4/011218/geforce-ti-23.html"; target="_blank">benchmark</a> that even the MX400 (is apple even using 400s?) is about 1/3 the speed of a GF3 and about half that of a GF2.

Mind you this is on windows, but I dont think that thered be that great of a comparative difference.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: The Toolboi ]</p>