deleting cache & log files regularly is good???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi guys.

I read some articles about taking care of powerbook safely and using OS... which is one of my favourit to help myself out of this new-with-mac problems...

but I'm in mistery now about this one article says that deleting cache and log files regularly is recommanded to maintain os without problems... it doesn't mention 'bout why and how... I guess that either author assumed readers must know such basic things or forgot to mention. \

anyway so I'm here begging you the experts for help out of this mystery. I'd like to try once find out the reason and how.....

thanks for help and really appreciate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Natopgun

hi guys.I read some articles about taking care of powerbook safely and using OS... which is one of my favourit to help myself out of this new-with-mac problems... but I'm in mistery now about this one article says that deleting cache and log files regularly is recommanded to maintain os without problems... it doesn't mention 'bout why and how... I guess that either author assumed readers must know such basic things or forgot to mention. \ anyway so I'm here begging you the experts for help out of this mystery. I'd like to try once find out the reason and how..... thanks for help and really appreciate.

Log files just take up HDD space unless your debugging something. Cash files can become corrupt or can hold personal info a potential spying program could hack. There are:
    • System: Virtual memory swap files, Kernel, Core, Temporary print (CUPS) and other temporary cache files

• User: System Font, Third-party Font and server cashes

• Internet: Cookies, History, Download lists, Safari form and Safari web icon cashes

There are even more kinds of logs files. I recommend Cocktail. It is custom made for each system to keep it running smooth. The site has more detailed info about how it works. Happy Macing.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    natopgunnatopgun Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Log files just take up HDD space unless your debugging something. Cash files can become corrupt or can hold personal info a potential spying program could hack. There are:System: Virtual memory swap files, Kernel, Core, Temporary print (CUPS) and other temporary cache files
    User: System Font, Third-party Font and server cashes
    Internet: Cookies, History, Download lists, Safari form and Safari web icon cashes
    There are even more kinds of logs files. I recommend Cocktail. It is custom made for each system to keep it running smooth. The site has more detailed info about how it works. Happy Macing.

hey. it's you again~

wow you must be a mac genious.

you helped me a lot again. now I'm getting ideas 'bout what those files and what they do... I had no idea before

thanks again n really appreciate your help. I'll try with the cocktail as you mentioned. hope I can handle it myself.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Most log files will be rotated as long as you leave the machine on. That is, the old files will be compressed and stored for a period before eventually being deleted.

If you shut the machine off a lot, especially at night, I suggest you download Cocktail and let it clean the log files out.

If you've got ample drive space though, there's no major problem with leaving the logs alone.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    natopgunnatopgun Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Most log files will be rotated as long as you leave the machine on. That is, the old files will be compressed and stored for a period before eventually being deleted.

If you shut the machine off a lot, especially at night, I suggest you download Cocktail and let it clean the log files out.

If you've got ample drive space though, there's no major problem with leaving the logs alone.

thanks xool.

I always apprecite helps from guys like you.

as you suggested, I shut down the powerbook often, I should follow what you suggested above...

ample drive space is... um... enough drive space, right??

geez I'm such newbie...

thanks again. and especially thanks for sparing your time answering such a basic(sadly not for me though ) question. it goes to all ppl online who help guys like me.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    OnyX does the same thing as Cocktail - only it's free unlike Cocktail.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

OnyX does the same thing as Cocktail - only it's free unlike Cocktail.

Awsome, Thanks for the info. I have not heard of it before but found this review OnyX at AppleLinks. How long have you used it?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    More than 8 months. It has been very stable for me and has never messed up my system. I highly recommend it.

edit: haven't tried it in Tiger though.