Archive/Install, etc.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
(slightly crossposted)

I am going to jump to Tiger, I think, when 10.4.2 comes out, and was going to do an archive and install; something I have never done before.... even since the OS X Beta! (Gasp!)

Some questions:

What kind of things will I have to migrate over from my previous system folder, and how much of a pain is it?

Does it only move over previously installed SETTINGS? or, for instance, does it also migrate application support folders, etc?

Can I not install it on an external Firewire drive? need I disconnect that drive to install on the Hard Disk? There are issues with this kind of thing, no?

Is there anything else do I need to know/ be wary of?

Sorry for the perhaps inane/redundant questions. I just don't want to lose every setting/ third-party util/application support stuff I have, and want to make the migration as smooth as possible.

---a little puzzled....

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    One other thing: I have an Adaptec SCSI card (2930) in a PCI slot attached to my cd-burner. Have the problems with those been remedied?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ...........Anyone? Beuller?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    The archive & install will take all of your application, network and system settings over to the new version. I use it all of the time without any issues...that said, whenever you upgrade to a new OS *always* backup your data.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    thanks.... will it also bring over utilities like PithHelmet, etc., or will all those kinds of things have to be reinstalled?

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

thanks.... will it also bring over utilities like PithHelmet, etc., or will all those kinds of things have to be reinstalled?

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

Nope. If you have an extra partition or an external drive or iPod, cloning to that, clean install and Migration Assistant is the way to go - it will bring everything over to the new clean install.

The Tiger install will ask you during the clean install if you want to migrate stuff, and if so from where. Normally you would choose the partition that you have the Panther OS on.

Carbon Copy Cloner is broken in Tiger, so use Super Duper to clone your Panther volume to another drive or partition.