Logic board, HELP ME!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i just purchased a replacment logic board for my B&W G3 off ebay (hope it works) and i have a question about installing it. i've built PCs in the past but have never built a mac. does the board install the same way? just mount it, plug everything in, and go? or do i have to reset anything? i know the board has some buttons on it to reset memories and whatever else, do i need to press any of those? if so, please be specific (ie. which one, when, with/with out power?) if you've done this befor or just know how to do it, i thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Yes, you have to push at least one button. There is a gray button called the CUDA switch somewhere on the logic board. It needs to be pressed after all components have been set in place but before the first boot.

There's probably more but that's all that I know.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    imac600mhzimac600mhz Posts: 104member
    yep its pretty much just plug in and play
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ok, biegeuser (i'm assuming u actually are a biege user) is the b&w maybe a little different? i went ahead and installed the board before anyone replied. i pressed nothing. it worked. would there be any advantage to going back and pressing this now?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    The button just resets the logic board...there really is nothing magic about it. So yeah, if it works, close the case and enjoy it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SethMonster

The button just resets the logic board...there really is nothing magic about it. So yeah, if it works, close the case and enjoy it.

I second SethMonster. Check the system profile and make sure everything is recognized. If it works fine than don't worry about the CUDA switch.

But if things start getting a little buggy, you might want to press that switch before you try anything else.