Why do my photo's look like crap on a TV made with iMovie/iDVD?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Final Cut Pro will definitely work better, but it is more time consuming and you havbe to know whay you're doing.

First I would convert the pictures to PICT and put a SMTE profile with Photoshop.

After that you should be fine. If you are going to do a Ken Burns effect in FCP, I hope you have enough time, But you'll have more control on where you want to zoom into.

Also, try the iDVD slideshow builder, I made a nice one with it, and it was really simple.

Cheers
  • Reply 22 of 24
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    I've made a few DVD's with slide shows on them.

I used Motion Pictures, which is a program that came with Roxio Toast. I set it up to do random pans and zooms on the photos and when I export it to a Full DV Quality QuickTime movie, I can set it to automatically stretch out the show to fit a certain song length. Then I import the movie into iDVD, and I've gotten great quality.

I haven't done a slide show using iMovie because I found Motion Pictures more automatic - I could set it up in a matter on minutes - so I don't know if iMovie does a worse job at rendering.

I also made 1 DVD presentation using Keynote 2. I used that program because I wanted to use the page flip effect. The outcome on DVD was the same, great quality. As with Motion Pictures, I exported to a Full DV Quality movie.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Aplnub, this is a known issue. We fought this last year. There seem to be a couple of work arounds.

First, you can use the Ken Burns effect. We found that during the panning of the image the quality was fine, as soon as the panning stopped the image pixelated. Some have recommended using KBE and setting it for a microscopic pan range.

As Oldcodger73 suggests, the other idea is to not use iMovie for compressing the QT movie. Simply quit iMovie and find the .mov file in your imovie project folder and import that into iDVD.

Alternatively, create the slide show in iDVD or use another program besides iMovie to create the slide show and send it to iDVD.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    khkookhkoo Posts: 32member
    I recommend resize & crop all picture(use photoshop or similar app)

NTSC or PAL size (up tp where you live & crop first[when needed it] and when resize, resize 2 or 3times [example:3072x2048 -> 1600x 1067 ->720x480])

/keep aspect ratio when crop picture/

and I also recommend use finest JPEG seutp when take piture or

use LAW formet and fix brightness, color temperture, tint(hue)

and sharpness when convert to JPEG. it will help.

resize to NTSC or PAL is most important.

you will get much better picture quality.

and use final cut pro and dvd studio pro can also help if you want to keep good piture quality. and also important use finest (bigger size) set up when compress to DVD formet.