WMV - any alternatives?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just downloaded Pink Floyd's performance from Live 8, because the network I watched it on cut it short. Anyways, it's an 80 MB file, so it's definitely not a stream. However it is in .wmv format.

I tried to open it with Windows Media Player and it plays with video but no sound. I tried opening it in VLC and it plays with sound and no video. I've tried to sync the two and it is kinda possible, but when the video skips, it goes off.

Any ideas?

I'm using Windows Media player version 9.0 (I've checked microsoft's website and I think this is the latest version) and VLC player 0.8.1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    You could try WMV Player plugin for Quicktime. $9.99 to purchase, but I think the trial will allow you to play the first half of wmv files.

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm
  • Reply 2 of 3
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Thanks for the help but watching the first half is as bad as CTV's coverage of the concert.

Anyways, funny thing. I'm playing around in Windows Media Player and after changing the skin the sound suddenly kicks in.

Trying to do it again causes it to crash but if I just start checking things int he menu bar, sometimes the sound will come back.

Would you recommend re-downloading WMP, or is this common with everyone?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    exhibit_13exhibit_13 Posts: 110member
    i've had a number of problems with windows media player, but most were solved by downloading the newest version, so i don't know what to think. you may also want to try mplayer. i haven't had the most luck with it, but i've heard other people having good experiences with it, so it may be worth a shot.