The look of the new macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I expect Apple will further split the Desktop line, into a slightly smaller PowerMac and a beefier workstation-class machine. Some people will pay an arm and a leg for the biggest baddest machine(s) and the workstation class will give it to them, for a price. The rest of us get PowerMacs that are similar to today's G5 as far as features, just in a smaller form factor.

If Apple dropped features, dropping 1 of the 2 HD bays or limiting RAM or PCI cards, many existing Pro users would bitch a lot. Mainly whining actually, as most of them wouldn't actually use those precious features anyhow.

What's really interesting is that depending on the internal components, the differences could be fairly minimal. Through the use of personality cards (the ultimate MacIntel dongle?) like those found in the beige-G3 machine, perhaps the biggest differences between the lines is the size of the case and the BTO options.

I don't know if your right, but I also think they should spilt it .

Alienware has 3 which would be ideal, but I would settle for two.

Inexpensive with guts.

Semi Pro model - About the same as current PowerMac.

Wicked!
  • Reply 22 of 61
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I dont think we will see any major redesigns for the intel comps when they first apear. Apple wants to slip this under the rug as much as possible so the transition appears more seemless. In addition, I wouldn't consider the "G" officialy dead. It may be, partly beacuse G6 dosnt have the same market appeal and ring that G3, G4, and G5 did.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

If anybody seriously thinks that Apple adverts will have the 'Intel Inside' sticker and jingle you must be out of your frickin' minds. Jeez

They absolutely will. No question.

But I agree with jms698: If it leads to Apple having advertising that shows Macs at all, that will be the best thing about this whole deal. The number 1 question about Apple Computer these days is "Are they still making computers?"
  • Reply 24 of 61
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    i find it wierd you guys complain about the pmG5 case - it looks amazing. a house mate just got a new pc, spent quite sometime spec'n it, and found the best looking PC case one could buy (custom built). That being a plain black box, just as big as the G5 if not bigger. There weren't any cases out there that even came close to the beauty of the powermac.

sure it'd be great if they slimmed the powermac case down, but i still believe its the best looking desktop tower on the market today.

alienware, while looks cool, is very dominating and plasticy. no class.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quamb

i find it wierd you guys complain about the pmG5 case - it looks amazing. a house mate just got a new pc, spent quite sometime spec'n it, and found the best looking PC case one could buy (custom built). That being a plain black box, just as big as the G5 if not bigger. There weren't any cases out there that even came close to the beauty of the powermac.

sure it'd be great if they slimmed the powermac case down, but i still believe its the best looking desktop tower on the market today.

alienware, while looks cool, is very dominating and plasticy. no class.

The PowerMac G5 never amazed me all that much. They borrowed the design straight from BOXX; I think to give it a more workstation class appeal; at the time they were introducing a new processor too; which was "supposed" to do them wonders.

And about the Alienware Case. I think they look great, In person they don't look plasticy; especially the workstation Chassis (3rd one - it's metal); has dual internal RAID, with hot swappable drives chassis available. How cool is that? We were talking abut Mac's getting that in this very forum even before the G4's came out.

But back to the topic at hand. I think we probably see a new intel logo on the new Macs, but I doubt they'll use that tired intell inside logo.

• Reply 26 of 61
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    its all a matter of taste i guess. but for me- the current powermac is a flawless work of design - the best looking desktop ive ever seen. anything close always has some kind of anoying flaw, like a panel that needs to be opened to access front usb ports, inconsistent materials, and just plain ugliness.

pc folk seem to throw linyang cases, alienware rah rah stuff at mac folk saying "see we have stuff that looks good too" - but personally it all just looks computer geek- with extra 'futuristic' grooves and crap for no reason.

for example- http://www.savrow.com/nsite/deuterium-eg.html

aparently the fat cat niche of pc hardware. sure, looks great- but still, next to a g5pm - i know which one is the king.

but for good reason- apple obviously spends alot more money on the cosmetics of their hardware.

where they certainly delivered when given the brief to create a sophisticated and powerful looking desktop with x-amount of interior space- and am sure they'll create something even better with the new line (which my mind boggles to think what they are going to improve? all i can think of is more compact).
  • Reply 27 of 61
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    The Deuterium looks like any other black minitower. Grooves are silly. But the PM G5 is way too big.

SFFs are the happening place in PC-world. I like my 95G5 but the older models are fine looking too.

http://us.shuttle.com/

My guess is that Apple will keep the clean lines of the current G5 tower, but make it a little smaller, and support more drives.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

No, that would be stupid. The Powermac is a workstation. They'll use the extra space for expansion bays and Crossfire/SLI compatibility.

I am not talking mini size, just smaller. That case is HUGE.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    nuttynutty Posts: 50member
    The cases will/should be bigger and I hope to god that we will not see any grody coolers like on privious macs, Well all have seen the past of Apple and it isn't pretty. Maybe we will see Black and white cases as a alternative to the Brushed aluminum. And not all non-mac cases are ugly, I have a very classy black, brushed aluminum case. Not plasticy and does not look like the older beige Mac cases,

Hotswap HDDs and Multiple CD/DVD drives, the futer is brite, or hopefully a little black
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:

If anybody seriously thinks that Apple adverts will have the 'Intel Inside' sticker and jingle you must be out of your frickin' minds. Jeez

3 months ago I could have said:

"If anybody seriously thinks that Apple computers will have intel processors you must be out of your frickin' minds. Jeez "

Yet it's happening. There's no reason why Apple won't play the Intel jingle.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

3 months ago I could have said:

"If anybody seriously thinks that Apple computers will have intel processors you must be out of your frickin' minds. Jeez "

Yet it's happening. There's no reason why Apple won't play the Intel jingle.

You are completely mad. You do not fuck up a $6Billion brand carefully nurtured over 20 years by diluting it with an annoying jingle. Jesus Christ you are selling Macs not anonymous PC's. The jingle is played on PC adverts because nobody gives a shit what brand of PC they are buying. The Intel jingle lets Joe Fuckwit know that it is the same as every other PC and he can therefore safely buy it on the only criteria he knows, price. Intel also give the OEMs massive cash backs for using the jingle.

I guarantee that the Intel jingle will not sully any Mac ads.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

[B]They borrowed the design straight from BOXX; I think to give it a more workstation class appeal

Where do you get this crap from? Do you have any idea the size and quality of the Apple design studio? Jonathan Ive (twice Designer of the Year) 'borrowed' the design form Boxx? Utter bollocks.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

You are completely mad. You do not fuck up a $6Billion brand carefully nurtured over 20 years by diluting it with an annoying jingle.

*IF* Apple were to advertise their Macs on TV, I'm pretty sure we'd hear the jingle...but when was the last time Apple advertised their Macs on TV?

(CosmoNut goes back to listening to his iPod)
  • Reply 34 of 61
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    Quote:

It may be, partly beacuse G6 dosnt have the same market appeal and ring that G3, G4, and G5 did.

Well, Pontiac thought "G6" sounded good enough to use it as a model name. Maybe Apple won't use G6 for that reason alone. Gotta avoid those nasty "TigerDirect" lawsuits.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    Quote:

You are completely mad. You do not fuck up a $6Billion brand carefully nurtured over 20 years by diluting it with an annoying jingle. Jesus Christ you are selling Macs not anonymous PC's. The jingle is played on PC adverts because nobody gives a shit what brand of PC they are buying. The Intel jingle lets Joe Fuckwit know that it is the same as every other PC and he can therefore safely buy it on the only criteria he knows, price. Intel also give the OEMs massive cash backs for using the jingle.

I guarantee that the Intel jingle will not sully any Mac ads.

Couldn't have said it better myself... I really think and hope you're right, otherwise, that would really suck! I would shudder and cringe if every time an apple tv commercial came up the last thing you'd hear was that horrible jingle.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

*IF* Apple were to advertise their Macs on TV, I'm pretty sure we'd hear the jingle...but when was the last time Apple advertised their Macs on TV?

(CosmoNut goes back to listening to his iPod)

Maybe you should take you ear buds off and listen to the world every once in a while... I will cite just one example: Switcher Campaign. I've got a few others in my brain just dying to get out, but I will resist. I'm not the kind of guy who likes kicking people while they're down.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

Maybe you should take you ear buds off and listen to the world every once in a while... I will cite just one example: Switcher Campaign. I've got a few others in my brain just dying to get out, but I will resist. I'm not the kind of guy who likes kicking people while they're down.

Chill out. I'm not saying Apple has NEVER advertised the Macs, it's just been a while and there haven't been any campaigns in recent memory that were very successful. Honestly, how successful was the Switch campaign? Did we ever actually SEE someone using a Mac?

The last Mac ads that I saw were anything close to effective were the Baby Jack ads and such. But again, how long ago were they?

Apple may launch another Mac ad campaign with the Macintels release. Who knows. If they do, I betcha the jingle will play.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nutty

...I have a very classy black, brushed aluminum case. Not plasticy and does not look like the older beige Mac cases,

Hotswap HDDs and Multiple CD/DVD drives, the futer is brite, or hopefully a little black

Get outta here with that thing! It is so cheese-ball Star Wars Fanboy looking it makes me want to vomit.

I know two things:

1. The Intel-based Powermacs will be redesigned.

2. Apple will come up with a new design none of us could have ever thought of.

What I would like most is if the towers were split into two lines, to make a total of three desktop Mac lines (not AIO).

Low end: Mac Mini. Not upgradable, not expandable, basically a chump's computer. Single CPU, dual core.

Midrange: The Cube with a bit more. A full sized video card, room for two HDs, and perhaps an empty PCI X slot. Single CPU, dual core.

High end: Powermacs even larger than today's towers, with room for 4 SATA HDs, 6 PCI X slots, motherboard support for RAID options, Dolby 7.1 surround audio, and of course twin dual-core CPUs.

This arrangement lets Apple charge even more for the high end Powermacs, while moving Cubes and Minis for the masses. Intel gives Apple the performance breadth to give the Mini and Cube impressive power, while still making the Powermacs blow everyone away.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    It is pointless to argue over something that you can look up. Intel PM will look different per Steve Jobs. Look at the WWDC 2005 Keynote @41:00. . A q u a M a c .
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Chill out. I'm not saying Apple has NEVER advertised the Macs, it's just been a while and there haven't been any campaigns in recent memory that were very successful. Honestly, how successful was the Switch campaign? Did we ever actually SEE someone using a Mac?

The last Mac ads that I saw were anything close to effective were the Baby Jack ads and such. But again, how long ago were they?

Apple may launch another Mac ad campaign with the Macintels release. Who knows. If they do, I betcha the jingle will play.

hmmm... you've got a point there, Mr. CosmoNut. I guess their ad campaigns, though creative, perhaps haven't been as successful as they could've been. Maybe not the right timing on Apple's part. But, if they were just trying to create awareness, then it was VERY successful...

Oh, and sorry for the attitude... I just hate the idea of the Pentium jingle chiming et the end of an Apple commercial. I REALLY hate it. I hope it doesn't happen. That would really cheapen the company's image.