Question about Student Discount

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
When I purchase my Mac from an Apple Store what kind of proof do I need to show in order for a student discount to take place? I've just graduated high school so I wouldn't have a student ID (college) yet. What should I bring?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    At the Stores, they want to see a student/faculty ID of some sort.

OnLine, you can just go through the EduStore link and order away ...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Last year we brought in my nieces acceptance letter and her senior high school id and that was good enough to get the discount. That was at the Tysons Corner store in VA.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 10
    As a faculty member I just took in my current pay stub from my school and they accepted that at the Apple Store.

Scott
  • Reply 4 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I ordered over the phone (problem with the online store at that exact moment) the lady said I was subject to an enrollment confirmation, but I didnt give Apple the ID #, didn't have to fax anything or in any way confirm it. Before I ordered, someone on these forums made a great point: Apple trusts the customer base: the people that would scam it make up such a small percentage that it really doesnt matter, Apple still makes a profit on the EDU systems, just a little bit less.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apoder

When I purchase my Mac from an Apple Store what kind of proof do I need to show in order for a student discount to take place? I've just graduated high school so I wouldn't have a student ID (college) yet. What should I bring?

at the stores, it has to be a college student ID if you use student... becuase when i showed them my highschool ID, they wouldnt give it to me and said for k-12, its only falculty... but if you order online, you can get the student discount, even when your in highschool
  • Reply 6 of 10
    apoderapoder Posts: 49member
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll go with reg and bring my current senior ID along with my acceptance letter.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    friend of mine was a highschool senior and got an ibook...they even looked at her id
  • Reply 8 of 10
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    There's a store that sells lots of Apple products at my university. Everything in the store is already at student discount prices. Anyone could walk in though.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

There's a store that sells lots of Apple products at my university. Everything in the store is already at student discount prices. Anyone could walk in though.

On campus stores should be checking for valid school IDs as well as keeping extra paperwork in case they get audited by Apple. Apple's attitude may have changed in recent years however. Maybe they'll turn a blind eye knowing they're still selling another Mac.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I recently ordered a custom dual 2GHz PM and asked when they would be calling the campus office to confirm enrollment. I was told it is "basically on the honor system."

I've got the PowerMac and the term hasn't even started yet. In fact, I got the Mac before paying my dues.