Thinksecret: "iBook Updte Any Day Now"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tchwojko

Toshiba, 16MB, 12ms seek, and cheap.

I wasn't sure if the old drive was failing or if some other part of the hardware was going bad, so I didn't want to spend too much, but I wanted to spend enough so that I'd have something useful if it did work.

So far it's ok.

cool. i'm liking mine... my dad's iBook g4 is now respectable, in the sense that 1.5 years ago it was 4200rpm 40gb and 256mb of ram with 10.3

10.4, 5400rpm 60gb, 640mb ram, tiger 10.4.2, slightly overclocked on the radeon mobility 9200, its a pretty decent portable. battery is max 1.5 to 2 hours, so maybe that's the next thing if i can get a nice newertech of something if they have it.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

ThinkSecret is quoting Digitimes now? The Apocalypse is drawing closer.

heh. "possibly later today" for new iBooks?

MY ASS.

thinksecret has gone down the toilet

*FLUSHHHHH*
  • Reply 23 of 42
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Your right. They would just put it below the fold into one of those rounded-off squares.

Ah, I forgot about the little squares.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

cool. i'm liking mine... my dad's iBook g4 is now respectable, in the sense that 1.5 years ago it was 4200rpm 40gb and 256mb of ram with 10.3

10.4, 5400rpm 60gb, 640mb ram, tiger 10.4.2, slightly overclocked on the radeon mobility 9200, its a pretty decent portable. battery is max 1.5 to 2 hours, so maybe that's the next thing if i can get a nice newertech of something if they have it.

What killed your battery time the most? The hdd upgrade?

I consider my 12" iBook a great computer but have often wondered about updating the hdd but if it kills the battery that much, screw it.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

What killed your battery time the most? The hdd upgrade?

I consider my 12" iBook a great computer but have often wondered about updating the hdd but if it kills the battery that much, screw it.

i think mainly is the airport card. maybe the slightly (software) overclocked radeon 9200 mobility

nah, the battery was not doing so well before the hdd upgrade. if you look at the specs, putting in a 5400rpm, in terms of heat and power consumption it holds up quite well.

at this stage i don't think it hammers the battery too much more.

the western dig. scorpio is also bloody silent. you cant hear anything unless you put your ear right up against the left palm rest which is just above the hd.

i'm considering getting the usd$140 newertech next (edit: link here:

http://www.newertech.com/ibook14battery

http://www.newertech.com/ibook12battery

, either that or harassing applecare about the battery drainage

like i said, it wasn't holding up that great before the hard disk mod
  • Reply 26 of 42
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    In previous post mentioned selling points and all that for the iBook. Was called away to do dishwashing if you must know, was going to add nother paragrpah to the bottom, which argues the other way. But I wont bother now as several people have said it before me.

Just thought I'd set the record straight.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

In previous post mentioned selling points and all that for the iBook. Was called away to do dishwashing if you must know, was going to add nother paragrpah to the bottom, which argues the other way. But I wont bother now as several people have said it before me.

Just thought I'd set the record straight.

no worries mate.

i think if we don't see anything significant iBook or MacMini wise until Paris Expo Sep 20 (my birthday!!) or even going deep into the pre-christmas season, we can only hope that this means that Apple is very close on the Macintel deal and is devoting heaps of energy into that, to not 'waste' too much time/money on small powerpc bumps.

hey i tried putting a filter for the crt onto the iBook screen (just resting it gently on the iBook display) and the glossy effect is really quite simple. i wonder what apple's market research is telling them, re: glossy wide screen on 12" on 14"... maybe its just an 'asian' thing? i don't know.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Hmmmmmm....... looks like thinksecret got it wrong.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

Hmmmmmm....... looks like thinksecret got it wrong.

"possibly as early as this week" doesn't exclude the update being next tuesday, thus allowing the 500000000 songs thing to run for an entire week.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    tchwojkotchwojko Posts: 139member
    Quote:

at this stage i don't think it hammers the battery too much more.

My battery was pretty much useless before the upgrade, too. I'm using it for the kids, and as a way to check updates before putting them on my main Mac.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    halsehalse Posts: 53member
    my guess is that Apple will try to have any iBook update before the back to school purchase season starts which means sometime in the next couple of weeks (have two nieces who are just starting to look and have told both to wait)
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by halse

my guess is that Apple will try to have any iBook update before the back to school purchase season starts which means sometime in the next couple of weeks (have two nieces who are just starting to look and have told both to wait)

heh... rich uncle huh? i hope they're not suffering as much as me with this waiting stuff... but like i mentioned, i'm keeping myself occupied in the meantime.

hell, i might even go and learn objectiveC (cocoa) or something
  • Reply 33 of 42
    supertedsuperted Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

no worries mate.

i think if we don't see anything significant iBook or MacMini wise until Paris Expo Sep 20 (my birthday!!) or even going deep into the pre-christmas season, we can only hope that this means that Apple is very close on the Macintel deal and is devoting heaps of energy into that, to not 'waste' too much time/money on small powerpc bumps.

hey i tried putting a filter for the crt onto the iBook screen (just resting it gently on the iBook display) and the glossy effect is really quite simple. i wonder what apple's market research is telling them, re: glossy wide screen on 12" on 14"... maybe its just an 'asian' thing? i don't know.

I hate the glossy screens, sure they look good in a dull light but in our bright aussie sunlight (and yours I would suspect sunilraman - I lived in Singapore and it was certainly a harsh light) the glare off those screens is awful, you can barely see anything. What I want is a much brighter backlight, I want to be able to see my screen, not have to tilt it around so I don't see so many reflections.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by superted

I hate the glossy screens, sure they look good in a dull light but in our bright aussie sunlight (and yours I would suspect sunilraman - I lived in Singapore and it was certainly a harsh light) the glare off those screens is awful, you can barely see anything. What I want is a much brighter backlight, I want to be able to see my screen, not have to tilt it around so I don't see so many reflections.

well i am in kuala lumpur at the moment... basically there's no real chance of using your laptop outdoors, it's too damn hot!

but even indoors yeah... it might be a good thing not to get too sucked into this glossy screen dealie-o.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member

• Reply 36 of 42
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Widescreen yes. Mac mini blue, green, and pink NO. Ick pow pooey!
  • Reply 37 of 42
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Appropriate post count for such hideous iBooks
  • Reply 38 of 42
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Appropriate post count for such hideous iBooks

Didn't even notice.

Yikes- that kinda scary...
  • Reply 39 of 42
    riffing off the devil's work. maybe these colors nicer?

Affordable. Wireless. Portable. Sexy. Svelte. Widescreen.

Radeon 9600 mobility full quartz 2D extreme capable.

Come on Apple...!!! woooooo
  • Reply 40 of 42
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Hey, I like sunilraman's colors... and specs too.

I thought we'd all concluded that a single size, 13" widescreen, could replace both current sizes. 12" widescreen is too small and will have to be no-optical.