iPod Video Dock...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Idea:

There's the talk about the video iPod, others say the screen is too small, others say there will be a new device for video.

If Apple made a new device with it's own harddrive etc. some might start using it for audio. Could it hurt the iPod sales?

What if....

Apple made 2 or 3 different LCD screens where you could "pop" the iPod into it's side, navigate from the screen and watch movies for the "Movie Store"?

You would then have only 1 device with data and the "screen" would act as a "dock" or a "Hub" for the iPod.

The iPod would still sync with the Mac and transfer video content.

I must say I on the other hand think that Apple will provide streaming video from the "Movie Store" and not download.

Sincerely

Zab The Fab

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zab The Fab

Idea:

There's the talk about the video iPod, others say the screen is too small, others say there will be a new device for video.

If Apple made a new device with it's own harddrive etc. some might start using it for audio. Could it hurt the iPod sales?

What if....

Apple made 2 or 3 different LCD screens where you could "pop" the iPod into it's side, navigate from the screen and watch movies for the "Movie Store"?

You would then have only 1 device with data and the "screen" would act as a "dock" or a "Hub" for the iPod.

The iPod would still sync with the Mac and transfer video content.

I must say I on the other hand think that Apple will provide streaming video from the "Movie Store" and not download.

Sincerely

Zab The Fab

Well,

Nyko is already planning to release just such a device. A 4.5" LCD with speakers and movie-controls in white that the iPod slips into (acting solely as the storage device). They also promise the appropriate software to make video 'ready' for the iPod/device. Check out ipodlounge.com's iPod buyers guide for a photo/description.

I think it's a great solution, though the build/quality appears suspiciously sub-Apple. To me, an iPod -color with an 80GB drive in the existing form factor with a 'sleeve' that houses speakers, a battery, large display, and controls for playback is ideal. All the portability, form factor, ease of use, and cache of today's iPod with video capability WHEN circumstances call for what Steve would describe as a 'foreground event'.