PowerBook: what one thing would you change?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    Jeez, all this "Extra mouse button" talk... doesn't anyone know how to press ctrl and then the mouse to do this?
  • Reply 42 of 75
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

Jeez, all this "Extra mouse button" talk... doesn't anyone know how to press ctrl and then the mouse to do this?

Control click is less convenient.

1. Another mouse button is obviously on my list.

2. Replace 12" model with 13" model with Radeon Mobility 9700 to differentiate the Powerbook line from the iBooks.

3. Superdrives standard on Powerbooks

4. Flash card reader
  • Reply 43 of 75
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Why use 2 hands when you can use 1? Takes much less effort and is much easier to hit a 2nd button with one hand, then 2 buttons with 2 hands.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Why use iTunes when you can record a CD from your sound input in real time, taking only an hour and a half, and split it into tracks in iMovie, and manually name them?

Jeez, people are so lazy!
  • Reply 45 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Why use iTunes when you can record a CD from your sound input in real time, taking only an hour and a half, and split it into tracks in iMovie, and manually name them?

Jeez, people are so lazy!

HAHA That was more smart ass than me...
  • Reply 46 of 75
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Detachable, reusable screen.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

You can pick one up for $799 (20") directly from apple...

ACD LCD 20" Aren't you glad someone thought of that?
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

You can pick one up for $799 (20") directly from apple...

ACD LCD 20" Aren't you glad someone thought of that?

very clever
  • Reply 49 of 75
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

As opposed to a disposable screen?
  • Reply 50 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

As opposed to a disposable screen?

Basically, the ability to detach the laptop's screen and use it as a stand alone monitor. The utility of this is obvious.

Additionally....

Upgradable graphics cards would be nice.

Various functionality without opening the unit as others have suggested and similar to the flipstart. A builtin wifinder would certainly be helpful.

Granted none of this will happen, but that's not what I thought this thread was about.

Oh and one more thing.... Ive always thought Apple should try and get a contract to build a gaming console chipset into their computers (maybe one day a PS2 will fit on a PCMCIA card) the advantage of this is the huge number of already existing console titles available.

• Reply 51 of 75
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Better quality speakers on all models.

Numberpad on the 17 inch powerbook.

An extra usb2 and fw400 port.

User replaceable parts (hd, optical drive) without dismantling the machine.

SD card reader.

Better quality screens.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cwestpha

I just tried it on a laptop.

the trackpad went one up and one over, the nubs went one over exactly.

Thank you for proving my point.

I just dont like having to move my finger over the entire surface left to right two or three times to get over to the other side of the screen. And if you calibrate it to go that far in one swipe then you the cursur moves almost a duzen pixles at a time.

How anyone can like the trackpad is beyond me. With proper training with the nub you can go across the screen in under a second or target a pixel in the same time as a trackpad without having to worry about your orreantation with the track pad.

Haha. To each his own I guess. Me and the nub never got along, but I wouldn't be offended if Apple went the IBM route and included both. That seems like a fine compromise to me
  • Reply 53 of 75
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Quote:

Originally posted by elron

Haha. To each his own I guess. Me and the nub never got along, but I wouldn't be offended if Apple went the IBM route and included both. That seems like a fine compromise to me

I think the nub is proprietary to IBM laptops, I haven't seen it used on any other brands of laptop.

If that is the case it is unlikely that it will ever be seen on a PowerBook . I would have no particular objection to having it there though, especially if it could be disabled, or used for other purposes (as an extra button, or for scrolling, for example).
  • Reply 54 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Socrates

I think the nub is proprietary to IBM laptops, I haven't seen it used on any other brands of laptop.

If that is the case it is unlikely that it will ever be seen on a PowerBook . I would have no particular objection to having it there though, especially if it could be disabled, or used for other purposes (as an extra button, or for scrolling, for example).

I've seen the nub on other books... I believe it was a toshiba, but I could be mixed up with fujitsu... It was one of those companies. But yes, you usually just seem them on IBM thinkpads.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Yup, it's a typical feature on most of Toshiba's machines.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Oh and one more thing.... Ive always thought Apple should try and get a contract to build a gaming console chipset into their computers (maybe one day a PS2 will fit on a PCMCIA card) the advantage of this is the huge number of already existing console titles available.

Well, I'm not sure this has as much to do with Apple as it does wit IBM (Apple's current chip manufacturer), but the new XBOX will use a PowerPC chipset... look it up!
  • Reply 57 of 75
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I would love to have the Lapzila!

20" HD screen powerbook with 2 hard drives running at 7200rpm.

That would be insanely cool.

Talk about portable desktop machine.

I am not looking to use such a thing on the airplane, but for a traveling designer that would be a dream come true.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

I would love to have the Lapzila!

20" HD screen powerbook with 2 hard drives running at 7200rpm.

That would be insanely cool.

Talk about portable desktop machine.

I am not looking to use such a thing on the airplane, but for a traveling designer that would be a dream come true.

what do you have right now?
  • Reply 59 of 75
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    15" powerbook.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I've seen the nub on other books... I believe it was a toshiba, but I could be mixed up with fujitsu... It was one of those companies. But yes, you usually just seem them on IBM thinkpads.

I have an ancient HP laptop that has one as well...