%&(@$&@ Lack of Undo in iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I wish iTunes had an undo command/for deleting playlists.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    It does if you buy iTunes Pro, a $30 upgrade.

J/K I too lost several wicked-cool playlists so I know your pain.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Guess you shouldn't have checked the little "don't show this warning again" box when you first tried to delete a playlist. Then at least you'd get a warning if you accidentally hit the delete key.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
  • Reply 4 of 12
    A few weeks ago I deleted a couple songs and clicked away the warning without reading it. A minute later, I wondered why it was taking so long. It deleted my entire library :/

Good thing I had it all on my iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    YES. I've done this too! This is indeed a HUGE issue. Let's all write in to Apple, please, in Feedback on their site. Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    And your choice to disable or cursorily ignore the secondary warning is Apples fault how??? Apple put the warning in, and let users disable the warning when they don't want to be treated like newbies who need their hand held just in case. No amount of systemic intervention can fix that, its purely PEBCAK. Any more indepth attemt to fix that just gets you the the old Windows three in a row "Do you really want to do that?" problem which is just as annoying as Clippy.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, an Undo would be a nice feature, and not exactly difficult.

Trashing a file is a two step process. You 'trash' it, but then you have to empty the trash to actually delete it. Something similar for iTunes songs wouldn't be a bad idea. Heck, it could even *use* the Trash as the holding area for files to be deleted.

Playlists and such are even easier.

Yeah, clicking through or disabling the dialog and then making a mistake is definitely PEBCAK, but there's a good mechanism sitting *right there* to be used.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Trashing a file is a two step process. You 'trash' it, but then you have to empty the trash to actually delete it. Something similar for iTunes songs wouldn't be a bad idea. Heck, it could even *use* the Trash as the holding area for files to be deleted.

That's what happens when I delete iTunes tracks, it puts them in the trash first.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

That's what happens when I delete iTunes tracks, it puts them in the trash first.

Ditto.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

But all sorts of important stuff like playlists, playcounts, and start/end times are gone forever.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well to be fair I mean they do have a warning dialogue, but most people disable it, plus, a warning isn't as effective as an Undo.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    hotoruhotoru Posts: 1member
    Recently spent more than an hour unchecking songs to free up room on the ipod. Accidently clicked ?alt check on one and unchecked whole list. Had to do it all over again. Things like that make you want to pull your hair out.

This time I am using rating of one star on my unchecked items so I can easily filter them in case I need to uncheck again. I cannot seem to find a way to sort or filter by UNchecked items (you can include only checked items but that does not help in this situation)

Hotoru