Windows Vista Beta 1 Screenshots

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's here, it looks real, it looks like a (poor) copy of Mac os X. Surprise, surprise.

i'm sorry, but i think it is going to be the greatest letdown of the century. Bring on the Macintels!

edit: linky

http://www.meversusthem.com/vista/index.php

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    recognise the user name? ROFLMAO

• Reply 2 of 37
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    It just seems so.... complicated.

Stacks look butt-ugly.

But broadcasting presentations is pretty nifty.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Huh.

Browsing through those images, I'm struck by how it now seems like some of the Windows UI clunkiness is a good match for the Windows conceptual clunkiness.

Making everything sort of sharp and detailed just seems to throw into relief the cluttered and poorly conceived underpinnings of the whole shootin' match.

Like giving the guy in "A Beautiful Mind" really nice handwriting.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I hate to say this, but functionality-wise, MS may have done right on a couple of things. It appears that their music, picture, and video libraries are integrated into the file structure of the operating system. IOW, instead of having separate apps like iPhoto, iTunes, etc., MS has made it so that those folders look and act like the iLife suite.

This seems to be a very reasonable way to approach this. Why have an application that sorts files in a pretty interface but organizes the file structure much more differently (like OS X) when you can just organize it efficiently and put the pretty interface on the file structure (Vista, seemingly)?

Oh sure, you can still run apps in the OS, but the OS itself takes on a lot of functionality that separate apps would normally have. Windows has been doing it for a while, folks, and that's one thing I like about it over OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It appears that their music, picture, and video libraries are integrated into the file structure of the operating system. IOW, instead of having separate apps like iPhoto, iTunes, etc., MS has made it so that those folders look and act like the iLife suite.

I think it makes everything a lot more complicated. I've seen my father struggle too many times with photo presentations in xp using these features. And it takes away the option to use other apps. It also probably makes the system much heavier.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

recognise the user name? ROFLMAO

ok. i have no problem with any of this, except for the damn magnifying glass. that is really f***ing lame of microsoft to not pick ANY other icon that signifies a search. it'd be nice if apple could win some sort of lawsuit over this if the icon stays in "VIsta." and by "vista" i mean "piece of crap ripoff."
  • Reply 7 of 37
    nowayout11nowayout11 Posts: 326member
    A magnifying class has been used for Search for years. It's not some ripoff just because Apple makes search popular.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Honestly, it looks like XP in black and with some extra eye-candy (microsoft style)...

This is my favorite screenshot...seems to accurately portray Windows quite well:

• Reply 9 of 37
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

A magnifying class has been used for Search for years. It's not some ripoff just because Apple makes search popular.

Popular for Mac users...who upgraded to 10.4.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    nuttynutty Posts: 50member
    comming from a windows usser this is a real disapointment, this just looks like they changed colors on windows XP everything on there now you can put on there yourself, except the black color change
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nutty

comming from a windows usser this is a real disapointment, this just looks like they changed colors on windows XP everything on there now you can put on there yourself, except the black color change

phew. for a moment i thought we were all going to be accused of being mac zealots
  • Reply 12 of 37
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

phew. for a moment i thought we were all going to be accused of being mac zealots

Zealot: A member of a Jewish movement of the first century a.d. that fought against Roman rule in Palestine as incompatible with strict monotheism.

Strange, I would of never guessed to call you that.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Zealot: A member of a Jewish movement of the first century a.d. that fought against Roman rule in Palestine as incompatible with strict monotheism.

Strange, I would of never guessed to call you that.

you again thanks for the history lesson, bud

i like to think of myself more of a cool Protoss Zealot.

ANTARO ADUUN !!!

*sigh*. blizzard is the fucking shakespeare of our generation, if computer games are the 20/21st century entertainment equivalent of elizabethean plays
  • Reply 14 of 37
    So whats the point of having transparent windows?

Doesn't this just make stuff harder to read?
  • Reply 15 of 37
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

ok. i have no problem with any of this, except for the damn magnifying glass. that is really f***ing lame of microsoft to not pick ANY other icon that signifies a search. it'd be nice if apple could win some sort of lawsuit over this if the icon stays in "VIsta." and by "vista" i mean "piece of crap ripoff."

um, magnifying glass would be considered one of those universal metaphors for search. heck, just about every website on the planet uses a simplified version of the icon for their searches.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I think it makes everything a lot more complicated. I've seen my father struggle too many times with photo presentations in xp using these features. And it takes away the option to use other apps. It also probably makes the system much heavier.

AMEN...When I use finder/explorer, I want files, not media...when I launch i* I want media, not a list of files, it's that simple.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

um, magnifying glass would be considered one of those universal metaphors for search. heck, just about every website on the planet uses a simplified version of the icon for their searches.

True, MS started using magnafying glass icons in Win 95 at the latest, hell I think I saw one in 3.1, it is no differant than red being universal stop, green being go and yellow meaning caution
  • Reply 18 of 37
    midgcoolmidgcool Posts: 19member
    Think ill be sticking to windows 2000, or get a mac....
  • Reply 19 of 37
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

So whats the point of having transparent windows?

Doesn't this just make stuff harder to read?

Yeah, it looks cool when there's only one window open, but once you have multiple windows on top of one another it quickly becomes a clusterfuck. Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually use the system, but in the screenshots I've seen, it looks confusing as hell.

I also think MS is making the UI mistake of the century by moving their well-known menu bar from the top of a window (just below the title bar) to below the toolbar as you can see in this IE7 screenshot:

There's absolutely no reason to do this, except to make the window similar to the unified toolbar look we have in Tiger (not saying they copied it from Apple, just that it's a similar look and doesn't serve any purpose when all their apps for 10+ years have had the menu in the same place).
  • Reply 20 of 37
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    I just realized that last screenshot doesn't really show what I'm talking about as far as the unified toolbar look (because it's installed on Win XP). Here's a better example: