OFF: Microsoft maps erase Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
MSN's Virtual Earth mapping service displays an empty field where Apple headquarters is located, while rival service, Google Maps, shows the buildings around the Infinite Loop. Here...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    They can dream, can't they?

• Reply 2 of 14
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    so this is just one glaring problem with this tool. i mean if apple isn't on there, who knows what else has been "overlooked"? nice going microsoft.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    now if only we had a feature to erase microsoft...literally.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

now if only we had a feature to erase microsoft...literally.

Try the Uninstall Wizard.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    Hahaha I'm 90% certain this WASN'T a mistake. Google and Apple should team up to become the ultimate Microsoft killer.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Try the Uninstall Wizard.

Doesn't actually delete them...just kinda hides microsoft...maybe I have to carry some sort of ring to a volcano and drop it in while Gates gnaws on my finger or something...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    That's just old map data.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    uuuh pretty old then. Apple has been around longer than digital maps.

I think you mean either shitty map data or intentional shenanigans.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    The map of that area is about 15 years old, based on local landmarks I'm familiar with. It isn't just the Apple site, but much of north Cupertino/southern Sunnyvale that's way out of date. If you scroll up (north) about 1.5 miles, you'll encounter color images that are not only higher resolution but are no more than 3 years old.

I'd vote against a conspiracy and for the theory that MS rushed to launch their "beta" without the latest available data.

I do like the way MS shows major roads superimposed on their images; with Google you often need to toggle between the maps and the photos if you're not familiar with streets in an area.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

I do like the way MS shows major roads superimposed on their images; with Google you often need to toggle between the maps and the photos if you're not familiar with streets in an area.

Google Maps now offers a "Hybrid" view combining map and satellite data.

And Google's data isn't 15 years out of date, although many would claim that's typical MS...

remember...

edit: clarification
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Manhattan made Macabre...

Microsoft's maps still clearly show the WTC Twin Towers...

Google Maps shows the reconstruction site

Creepy.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

And it isn't 15 years out of date, although many would claim that's typical MS...

Actually, it *is* close to 15 years old. The house next door to mine was built in 1993 and it isn't in the photos (I live pretty close to Apple so my neighborhood is in the same photo data set as Apple's HQ).
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Clarified my earlier post.

Maybe Microsoft should rename theirs "Virtual 20th Century Earth" and leave the 21st C to Google.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

I'd vote against a conspiracy and for the theory that MS rushed to launch their "beta" without the latest available data.

I don't know if they're launching a new version, but the terraserver has had street mapping for a few years and has served images since the late nineties.