AAPL just jumped

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was watching in closely in June. Damnit. It jumped. I was hoping it would go down for the next few months! Will it go back down, or keep going up? What does everyone think? Over the last week it has jumped almost 10 bucks a share. Arg. Was this caused by a few bullish press releases and news events and speculation, like with Motorola, IBM, Radioshack, etc?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    /me looks at his 190 shares... UP! KEEP GOING UP!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    stustanleystustanley Posts: 236member
    do you reckon its cos microsoft just announced that their next operating system is called 'Vista'
  • Reply 3 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I was watching in closely in June. Damnit. It jumped. I was hoping it would go down for the next few months! Will it go back down, or keep going up? What does everyone think? Over the last week it has jumped almost 10 bucks a share. Arg. Was this caused by a few bullish press releases and news events and speculation, like with Motorola, IBM, Radioshack, etc?

Yeah, I was relying on the same Intel-switch dip to make an entry.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Yeah, I was relying on the same Intel-switch dip to make an entry.

i think it hit $31 as the lowest point of that dip? well, that's probably as low as it will ever be for a while. if the mac mini and iBooks come out as updated, june-to-september quarter is f8cking sorted mate, sorted. not to mention merged ipod lines.

then christmas frenzy iPod + powerbook + iMac g5? updates in september--november.

that's enough momentum to take us into the Macintesh era.

honestly, the only other opportunity i see is if the first Macintels somehow suck and people panic, first half of 2006.

• Reply 5 of 27
    hot dang. $44. is pretty much quite close back to its pre-split high.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I think the only thing that will drop the price in the near term would be missing expectations for this quarter. I think Apple will release updates to most if not all of it's product line to help keep the momentum rolling until the transition starts. Then again I'm no analysis.

Looking back the previous high was about $45.07 (split adjusted) since the run up in 2000.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well, crap. I should have told my girlfriend to pull the trigger last week, when shares were ten bucks cheaper. We are set to pour a few thousand in to AAPL (she works a lot, so do I, and I think this AAPL investment could be a good long-term financial plan.)

So I guess the only place from here is up is the consensus?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

do you reckon its cos microsoft just announced that their next operating system is called 'Vista'

You mean

Virus

Infection

Spyware

Trojan

Adware

(I didn't make it up, but it's an apt acronym.
  • Reply 9 of 27
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Yes! It looks like it'll slide back down a bit! And then I'm pulling the trigger, and investing a few hundred, and my girlfriend, a few thousand.

Why does everyone think it's going down? The news yesterday that HP won't sell iPods?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Yes! It looks like it'll slide back down a bit! And then I'm pulling the trigger, and investing a few hundred, and my girlfriend, a few thousand.

Why does everyone think it's going down? The news yesterday that HP won't sell iPods?

You're BUYING AAPL right now?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

that, and a ton of other factors. HP, while they didn't sell a ton of ipods for apple, helped apple get brand recognition and placement in lots of stores. we'll see what happens.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    dude, you do not want to buy any share that is at an all-time high.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Yeah I know I wish I bought it in 1996. My Dad, the webmaster for the Army Corps, smart guy, been an Apple guy since they began, didn't think it was a sure thing. Wouldn't invest. Sigh. I didn't have the capital, now I do.

I don't see anywhere for AAPL to go but up from now on. iPods will just get bigger. They ARE the new Walkman. Sony missed the boat. There is no catching it. Correction, Sony totally incredible fucked up. They are real fuckups lately, with proprietary tech for everything. When is the last time you saw someone using a Sony product to listen to music on the go? ATRAC what a stupidtacular idea. The iPod will be the Walkman of this decade and absolutely dominate just like the Walkman did in the 80s, and the Discman in the 90s.

Now the switch to Intel will bring Apple to 10% market share within this decade, I think. In the long term, maybe even more. I can see Apple becoming 25% in 10 or 15 years, especially if Windows Vista turns out to be the crap it is looking to be. Of course Jobs will have to allow clones but such is life, and the OS is the soul, as he finally has declared.

So the stock in the next few years is set to go up quite a bit. I think therefore it is the time to buy, as soon as a little mini-downturn occurs, such as the one that appears to be about to start right now.

What does everyone think about this? Does anyone think it will go down before it goes up, significantly? Will there be any PPC->x86 snafus? That is the only thing I could see that would cause problems.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    You would be better off waiting for Apple to spin off the iPod division than buying now. Buying AAPL now, when it's at a record high, is not a good move.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Hmmm...

OK it's an all-time high to this date. But doesn't everyone think it will just keep increasing?

I'll talk to my MBA and economics buddies at college about it!
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Hmmm...

OK it's an all-time high to this date. But doesn't everyone think it will just keep increasing?

I'll talk to my MBA and economics buddies at college about it!

It's what, $40-odd a share? Why would you buy a roller coaster like AAPL when it's that high? If it dips down into the 20s, sure, but at 40+??

Look for something a bit cheaper that might go up significantly.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

You would be better off waiting for Apple to spin off the iPod division than buying now. Buying AAPL now, when it's at a record high, is not a good move.

The all time high for AAPL is 45.44 (post 2 for 1 split) reached earlier this year and almost 3 dollars more than fridays close. As for buying at an all time high the gnomes who follow the entrails of markets will tell you that technically a stock that makes new highs is bullish. I bought friday and expect it to drop some more over the next day or two and am buying more.... IMO this is the last good buying oppurtunity this year for Apple. Buying TIVO is truly courageous andI wish you good luck.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by snipe

Buying TIVO is truly courageous andI wish you good luck.

I bought at 3.50 when their management quit. A few days later they announced the deal with Comcast. It was at 7.20 a couple of weeks ago.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I bought at 3.50 when their management quit. A few days later they announced the deal with Comcast. It was at 7.20 a couple of weeks ago.

I love TIVO products and admire founders and management. However the one risk no matter how talented and hard working they are ultimately at the mercy of the cable/sat/and telco companies who carry TV to the home. How these companies treat the customers should give one pause as to how well they treat their so called ''partners''. Unles TIVO has some way to shake loose from these guys I would feel hard pressed to put money with it. Of course it could turn out to be a rocket in the future and your timing on the stock was quite good. Apple otoh finds itself almost independent (MS Office being the only current threat if MS stops developemt for the Mac) In fact a number of public companies are dependent on AAPL for their immediate future Synaptics, Sigmatel, Portal etc