computer programming homework

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been assigned a homework paper with some questions on Computer programming. I've gotten most of the questions, but there are a few I have not been able to get. It does say I can do an interview, but I don?t know anyone that I can ask. I figured someone on this board could provide me with some answers:

How is Visual Basic software used in the ?real world??

(Give examples)

Is there any other computer programming software available?

How is the software different from a programming language?

Which software/language is used most widely in the real world?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    1) There seem to be a lot of jobs going for VB, so it must be used quite a bit, i much rather other languages. Do a google search, should come up with a few.

2) Plenty... google for "IDE" (Intergrated Development Enviroment)... heres a few... Visual Studio (i.e. Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#), XCode/Interface Builder, Borland Delphi, and there are millions of text editors aimed at programming....

3) this is a silly question. the software just help you program. i.e. it helps speed things up, in the case of Visual Basic, you can simply place a button where you want it, and you dont hav to manually type in the code to create the button etc...

4) another silly question.... i dont think theres a right answer to this. someof the most popular i guess are C/C++, Java, Visual (Basic/C#), a load of business apps are done in COBOL...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

I've been assigned a homework paper with some questions on Computer programming. I've gotten most of the questions, but there are a few I have not been able to get. It does say I can do an interview, but I don?t know anyone that I can ask. I figured someone on this board could provide me with some answers:

(Give examples)

1. Visual Basic is used to write front-end applications that connect to back-end database server (i.e., SQL Server). It is also used to write lots of shareware.

2. Besides VB, you have C# (pronounces C sharp), C, Java, Fortan, Assembly, etc. Nearly all program languages exists for all platforms in one form or another.

3. Most programming languages are software. Programming languages allow you write programs/applications that you and other people can use. Does this answer your question? If not, can you rephase the question?

4. I am not sure. If I were to guess it would be either VB or C++

Hope this helps.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    1) Script kiddies creating the latest in wormware.

2) Not that you'd understand, I'm afraid.

3) The same way playing tennis is different from iron-rich mineral deposits.

4) Trick question. Computer geeks and software engineers don't work in the real world.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

1) Script kiddies creating the latest in wormware.

2) Not that you'd understand, I'm afraid.

3) The same way playing tennis is different from iron-rich mineral deposits.

4) Trick question. Computer geeks and software engineerings don't work in the real world.

Helpful.

You should be a teacher.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

(Give examples)

RAD - Rapid Application Development

"Using prebuilt objects is faster because you use existing objects rather than writing everything yourself. The result is shorter development life cycles, easier maintenance, and the capability to reuse components for other projects. One of the major premises on which industry implementation of OOP (object oriented programming) is built is greater reusability of code."

Quote:

C++, although Java is quickly becoming the new trend I think.

Quote:

4) Trick question. Computer geeks and software engineerings don't work in the real world. [/B]

I like it!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Helpful.

You should be a teacher.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. It's not as if smart ass answers prevents anyone else from giving ever-so-helpful answers, and I'm certainly under no moral obligation to do the kid's homework for him, especially when there are obviously plenty of other volunteers.

This seems to be a typical message forum pattern. One might almost call it a ritual:

Alice posts question.

Bob posts smart-ass answer to Alice's question.

Carol posts tsk-tsk message about Bob's response, as if Bob's response eclipses all other possible help Alice might get or have already gotten.

Please, don't be Carol. Carol is not needed. Alice will get by in life fine without Carol's stalwart defense.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Machine language. It's used by 100% of computer systems.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

(Give examples)

hi Ferali, i don't mean to insult you or other appleInsiders but this is really the wrong place to do computer science homework. mainly because we can not take those questions seriously..! and because the IT industry is well, corrupt and bloated and insane

but here are my answers:

1. visual basic software is used to make pointless rubbish "utilities" that end up either crashing your computer, wasting your time, or giving you viruses and spyware. your answer to the paper should be, "visual basic is a classic example of microsoft garbage and hence i refuse to answer this question"

2. there are many other programming software. XCode 2.1 for Mac Os 10.4 is an exceptional IDE (integrated development environment) used to produce outstanding, stable, and very impressive applications using the programming language Cocoa.

3. ummm... can't think of a smartass answer to this one

4. your answer should be "depends on what statistics i want to choose to justify my choice of programming language and programming language software". remember, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.