Stuffit Installtion Problems NEED HELP BADLY

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have no tried for the last two days to install stuffit 9.0.2 on my computer which is a G4 iBook with 10.4.2 on it and no matter what I do the installation fails and its getting really really annoying does anyone know a way around this problem thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by iGrant

I have no tried for the last two days to install stuffit 9.0.2 on my computer which is a G4 iBook with 10.4.2 on it and no matter what I do the installation fails and its getting really really annoying does anyone know a way around this problem thanks

Have you tried redownloading the installer?

Frankly, I'd prefer if people spread the word to developers that the Stuffit format shouldn't be used anymore now that OS X has it's own .zip implementation built-in since 10.3 and .dmg since 10.0.

If an app is OS X only, it should be packaged using the .dmg format. If it's 10.3+ and the developer is too lazy to put his app inside a .dmg file, he should at least use .zip. This way both the people that have Stuffit (which comes with every OS X release except 10.3(?) and 10.4) and the people that don't (that are on 10.3+) won't have any problem decompressing the damn files.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    .DMG's are pretty awkward in my opinion. Why are they better than ZIP archives?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

If an app is OS X only, it should be packaged using the .dmg format. If it's 10.3+ and the developer is too lazy to put his app inside a .dmg file, he should at least use .zip. This way both the people that have Stuffit (which comes with every OS X release except 10.3(?) and 10.4) and the people that don't (that are on 10.3+) won't have any problem decompressing the damn files.

StuffIt prior to version 8 would *mangle* .zip files if the filenames were longer than the old 32char limit from OS 9. It also didn't know about resource forks in .zip files, so they'd break too.

I agree that using .dmg or .zip is the right way to do it now though.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Encryption, auto-clean-up with internet-enabled dmgs, etc, etc.

For more:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...01759-BCIHFACA

http://developer.apple.com/tools/installerpolicy.html

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...section_3.html
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

What Kickaha said. In addition: compression in several formats (e.g. gzip, bzip2, ...), byte-per-byte perfect storing (even compressed) of entire volumes or disks (with all partitions), etc. DMG is a perfect backup format; I wish Apple would open it up to other systems.