WMA Files in Tiger

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So, I just upgraded to Tiger (installed over 10.3.9) and none of my .wma or .wmv files work. I'm running 10.4.2 now with all the security updates. I've seen that this is a compatability issue in Tiger, but the last posting I saw was nearly a month ago. Has this changed or is M$ planning to let WMP shrivel up and die in OS X? Thanks for any help or hints.

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I had the same problem when I upgraded from Panther to Tiger, but I solved it by deleting Windows Media Player (the app and its associated files like .plists... Spotlight helps you find them easily). I then downloaded a fresh copy of Media Player and re-installed it... presto, WMA files work again without crashing.

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Deception

I had the same problem when I upgraded from Panther to Tiger, but I solved it by deleting Windows Media Player (the app and its associated files like .plists... Spotlight helps you find them easily). I then downloaded a fresh copy of Media Player and re-installed it... presto, WMA files work again without crashing.

Hope this helps!

Awesome ... thanks for the tip! Works like a charm now! BUT, I had to use OnyX to force empty my trash because it kept telling me some WMP.htm file was in use and every little trick I know for forcing the trash didn't work, I also had to attempt the install twice because the first time around it took so long to start the installer that my computer just finally said ... screw it and locked up. So if anyone else is having the same problem, Deception's advice is good, but you may run into a few kinks trying to delete the old WMP and install the new one! Thanks again, I appreciate the tip.

Chris
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sorry to dig up an old topic but i came across this when using the search

i got a simular problem

ever since i upgraded to tiger wmp9 hasnt worked, i already deleted it twice and tried a fresh download and installation, it crashes as soon as i start it up, i got a lot of wmv files that i still wanne be able to watch so this is kind of a pain in the butt... updating to tiger was a bit of a mess to (had to restore my HD with diskwarrior cause tiger didnt wanne install at first)

hasn't done that before i upgraded and since there's no free alternative to play mwv files... anyone here know what the problem could be or does anyone have a possible solution?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Skully25 have you tried VLC it can play at least some wmv files for free.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    have a look at flip4mac.com as well.... not free, but the free trial is interesting to play around with.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Usually the problem is to do with the skin that is selected. One of the skins causes the program to crash. Changing the skin solves the problem.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    gawd, even the stock skins cause it to crash, can't microsoft do anything right wmp on mac is a lost case...