Running CIV III Complete (PC version) on Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there something I could use other than Virtual PC to run Civ III on the Mac?

With UNIX underneath is there anything that can be downloaded so that it'll run? Kind of like running Wine in linux?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    biederbieder Posts: 15member
    No, sorry. I think the fastest (and most reliable?) way of running windows apps on a mac is using virtual pc. I have no idea if it would be possible to run civ iii on it though. I guess it depends a lot on your hardware...

A project called darwine aims at porting wine to osx and mix it with an x86 emulator and though they have done a lot of progress, it is not in a working state yet. Guess we have to wait for the intel processors to arrive, before we see changes regarding windows apps on the mac.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    There's always the obvious... run the Mac version of Civ III
  • Reply 3 of 14
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    What curiousuburb said. I've been on a Civ III binge myself lately.

Go!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I played a game of Civ III versus a friend who taught me the game - I think it was with the addon - and later I tried FreeCiv on my own on OS X. What is supposed to be good about these games? I was really disappointed in how few meaningful decisions you can do, versus how much you have to micromanage (especially Civ III), and how much time you spend sitting on your behind. It feels like you are forced into a single track of "strategy", and then the game just sucks your time away.

Technical execution of Civ III was horrible. Never in my life have I seen a strategy game lag like that in the basic UI, while not looking anything special. edit: this was the Windows version. I haven't seen the Mac version.

This friend of mine who has played all Civs far too much tells me that the AI both sucks and cheats massively (something like 100% raw production/happiness bonuses), and if he wants to win at the hardest difficulty, he must lean on the glaring faults of the AI for the whole game in order to survive to the end, where either he loses because of the overwhelming AI bonuses, or the AI's beat the crap out of each other and he gets to pull off a "surgical war" against the AI's which are necessarily twice the size of his nation.

Alpha Centauri felt a lot better right from the start, but circumstances didn't let me play it more than a handful of turns. If I was to play a Civ-style game that would be it. On top of VirtualPC since I understand the Mac version doesn't work on OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    agiagi Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

Is there something I could use other than Virtual PC to run Civ III on the Mac?

With UNIX underneath is there anything that can be downloaded so that it'll run? Kind of like running Wine in linux?

Hi,

This is my first post...finally something I actually know about!

As has been said before virtual pc is your only current option for running pc apps on the mac.

I have tried to run civ3:conquests and vanilla civ3 via virtual pc 7 and windows xp on a 2ghz imac with 1gb ram but unfortunately they are both unplayable. the screen update is so slow that even at the start of the game with only a handful of units you are waiting for ages between taking actions and them being reflected on screen.

so unfortunately vanilla mac civ3 is the only option you have and whilst it is fine enough with the 1.29g beta patch it still is nothing like the same as playing civ3:conquests on the pc.

at least civ4 should be out sometime in the new year.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Not to mentiob Civilization 4 will be out soon...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    What I want to know, is... how can I run the MAC version on a PC ????
  • Reply 8 of 14
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Well, i'm not going to run Civ on my Mac.

I have a PC laptop for that.

My mac has more important things to do...hahahaha...(writing, filmmaking etc...)
  • Reply 9 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    This is unrelated, but I just discovered some info about Civ 4. I'm sure it won't come out for Mac at the same time, but I'm used to that. Either way, it'll be a must have in my apartment!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    CivIV doesnt really appeal to me at this moment.. But will of course test it out.

The CivIII complete has a lot of interesting expansions, so I would like to be able to run it in OSX too.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    There's the Mac version of Civ III, but it lacks the expansion packs. If the only changes are new data and config files, there may be a way to use the PC packs with the Mac version, but I doubt this is the case.

What was added in CIV III Conquest that makes it such a home run?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    agiagi Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

There's the Mac version of Civ III, but it lacks the expansion packs. If the only changes are new data and config files, there may be a way to use the PC packs with the Mac version, but I doubt this is the case.

What was added in CIV III Conquest that makes it such a home run?

conquests bascially balances the game...refining all the rough edges from the original, plus adding new civilizations/units/technologies. plus it includes an implementation of stacks so you don't have to move each unit individually...which is a major plus in the later parts of the game when you've tons of military units.

however, the corruption issue and AI cheating remain - roll on civ4!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AGi

however, the corruption issue and AI cheating remain - roll on civ4!

The AI bonuses looked pretty bad when viewed from the civilization growth charts.

Anyway, you guys have obviously played a lot of Civs. Can anyone answer my earlier question on this thread, namely, what do you think of the different Civ-affiliated games and the rules design in them? Why do you play Civ 3 and not something else of the same genre?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    For Mac there is also the "Game of the Year Edition" which, according to Amazon.com, "includes three new maps and other special features". Anyone know what those are?

I'd hit the macsoft site, but macsoft.com gives an error page (that is very MSie).