I want my 12" powerbook to get hotter!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, I don't want it to get hotter, but I definately don't want to hear the fan all the time.

I'm using a 12" Rev. A Powerbook with Tiger. It works really well. The only problem I have is the fan noise. In Panther there was a hack to reduce fan noise. You just had to replace the kernel extension "AppleADM103x.kext" with an older version. There was also a software that would do this work for you (silen night), but the site is down.

My question is: does this still work in Tiger? can I just take the kernel extension of my Jaguar install disk and replace the tiger kernel extension? I know that the fan will only turn on at 64º instead of 53º as it does in tiger, but since it didn't hurt my powerbook as long as I used Jaguar and the processor temperature limit is about 74ºC I'm willing to accept this additional heat.

Has anybody done this? Are there any problems I should know of?

I would appreciate any comment on this subject.

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I don't know about the hack but have you checked if you have high CPU utilization? A few weeks ago I noticed my battery life was short and my PB was getting really hot. Investigation revealed a process, system events, was hogging my cpu. I removed the process from my startup items and fixed the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Yes my powerbook is often running near 100%. It has just 867MHz, therefor it is not too difficult to reach this limit. Safari is also running most of the time.

It is still fast enough, but I would like it to be more quiet. And since it was a lot quieter before tiger, I assume that this hack won't hurt the powerbook.

By the way, I think that the reasons why they recommend a lower temperature are the user-experience (but I don't mind the heat), and the battery lifetime which is affected by high temperatures (the battery has more than two years and is still good).

Thank you anyway for your answer
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Wow, sounds like something is hogging the CPU. If I'm not actively doing anything I run about 90% idle. Use Activity Monitor to check for the offending app. Some web pages will cause Safari to use lots of CPU time. V2 is better than earlier versions.

Also, try simple things like adding some space below the powerbook and your desk. If possible arrange for even a little air flow (open window, air conditioner vent, very small desk fan).