iPod nano sales off to a great start (Piper Jaffray)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/0...markets03.html

Quote:

Piper Jaffray said the iPod nano from Apple Computer (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) is "selling well."

Available for six days, the music player is seeing high demand, based on a survey of 20 Apple retail stores, Piper Jaffray said. "No store that we checked with had black 4-gigabyte nanos in stock."

The traffic to Apple's Web site has recently spiked to all-time highs, Piper noted, citing information from Alexa.com. "We believe that the publicity surrounding Apple's launch of the new iPod nano, and to a lesser extent, the unveiling of Motorola's (nyse: MOT - news - people ) ROKR phone, has fueled the spike in interest observed in the Web traffic data."

Although Apple stores are currently out of the black 4-gigabyte nano, Piper Jaffray said the company has learned from the production mistakes of the iPod mini made during last year's holiday season and will produce enough of the iPod nano this year to meet demand. Apple's manufacturing partner has dedicated a facility solely to iPod nano production.

If the lead time of the iPod nano increases, "Apple would likely be selling more iPod nanos than their initial aggressive expectations," Piper Jaffray said.

The firm maintained an "outperform" rating on Apple and has a $60 price target.

It looks like AppleInsider jumped the gun and/or makes shit up based on non-scientific market research.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/0...markets03.html

It looks like AppleInsider jumped the gun and/or makes shit up based on non-scientific market research.

I completely agree.

As I mentioned in the iPodcast trademark thread, it seems like AI has switched from the roll of rumor monger to the roll of sensationalist antagonist.

Not that anyone really expects AI to be a true news site. But I prefered the days when rumors of future products were the focus. Now it seems like the focus has turned to publishing purposefuly critical or inflamatory stories merely to incite the readership.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I don't know what excites me more; this sexy little contraption or the fact that they bundled the apple stickers with it.

woooooo
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I don't know what excites me more; this sexy little contraption or the fact that they bundled the apple stickers with it.

woooooo

Question? If I have pictures on my iPod and connect to a different computer. Can I import those pictures and albums into that computers iPhoto library.

The nano is too small to see pics but would be nice for that purpose.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

None of the data in this story is inconsistent with AI's. It just sounds like AI chose to put a certain spin on the data, and this person chose to put a different spin. The story, such as it is, seems to be that Apple misjudged demand for black nanos, and so overall sales are slower than expected because they can't match demand to the supplies on hand. But "Nano more or less selling as expected" isn't an interesting headline.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Question? If I have pictures on my iPod and connect to a different computer. Can I import those pictures and albums into that computers iPhoto library.

The nano is too small to see pics but would be nice for that purpose.

Yes, you can do that.