hi guys. helps needed urgently.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi guys. I need your help urgently...

I don't even know what Ive done wrong...

the problem is that everytime I reboot the powerbook, it starts in some kind of dos mode(don't have a clue). it's saying that to modify files blah blah... don't have clue what the heck it's all about... so I tried to re-install tiger, but it lead me to that dos mode again and again... hard to explain... only thing I can do with disks is the hardware test..... think there must be the command I need type in order to start os, but I have no idea bout those DOS and commands...

is there anyone know what's going on with my powerbook?? please help me out. thanks for your help everytime.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Natopgun

hi guys. I need your help urgently...

I don't even know what Ive done wrong...

the problem is that everytime I reboot the powerbook, it starts in some kind of dos mode(don't have a clue). it's saying that to modify files blah blah... don't have clue what the heck it's all about... so I tried to re-install tiger, but it lead me to that dos mode again and again... hard to explain... only thing I can do with disks is the hardware test..... think there must be the command I need type in order to start os, but I have no idea bout those DOS and commands...

is there anyone know what's going on with my powerbook?? please help me out. thanks for your help everytime.

Sounds like your PB is booting up in single-user mode. Try issuing the "reboot" command. Or the "shutdown -now" command. I dunno what would be making it start up in SU mode every time, though. Have you tried starting up sans extensions (hold down shift) or from another hard drive (hold down option to select which one)? If the Tiger CD (which makes you start up with it) doesn't dump you into SU mode, then it's prolly a problem with your HD or the stuff on it, and you might have a really funky unixy problem that I can't help with.

edited for clarity
  • Reply 2 of 5
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    tried starting up from your OS cd?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

tried starting up from your OS cd?

Well, reinstalling the OS requires this, so I'd wager (s)he has, since (s)he already said (s)he reinstalled Tiger.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I looked up some stuffs online about the problem that I'm experiencing... as you said, it's the single user mode that my powerbook starts in... I've done hardware check and everything seems fine... one thing I noticed is that I think I've modified some files that I shouldn't... so that lead me to single user mode to fix it or something...

how can I start in OS? I mean How can I get out of this sing user mode?? I have no clue bout UNIX stuffs...

install cds, rebooting... everything I've done doesn't work... it just ended up on this single user mode...

do you know any of command that I need to type to get into OS?? geez... it just drives me nuts.

thanks guys.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Just a shot in the dark, but try resetting the firmware:

hold down command-option-O-F during boot.

at the Open Firmware prompt, type the following 2 commands:

reset-nvram

reset-all